Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atomicsombraro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Curve ball
    I'm 11 and throw a fastball around 71 mph. I am developing a curve. My coach says that I throw it in a way I can't hurt my arm and it breaks around 2 feet. Should I keep throwing it I throw it around 60?
    Teddy Ribbons Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
    You'd probably be better off waiting until you're at least in High School to start working on your curveball. My brother, who's a strong kid, was throwing about 70mph at age eleven. He and his coach thought that his muscles and tendons were developed enough to start throwing breaking balls. By the time he got to High School his arm was shot. If you really want to keep throwing your curveball, just be careful. Good luck.
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 02:14 PM
    I used to be a pitcher with a wicked splitter,it took the stress off the breaking curveball I threw... my doctors said that age 11 you shouldn't even think of throwing a curveball.Try working on other pitches that don't require that much stress
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 07:07 PM
    NO ONE throws a curve ball that breaks 2 feet unless it just lacks speed enough to get to the plate. And, no you shouldn't throw any kind of curve until your arm matures more. When that will be depends on your own individual body.
    Personally, I started throwing a curve when I was 16; my arm was shot by 18.
    Prairie Son
    seibel44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Wow, nice answers so far!! I played 4 years of college baseball and pitched a lot. I can't remember exactly what mph I through @ the age of 11, I'm guessing around 70. But I have been throwing curveballs ever since I can remember probably when I first started playing catch with my father with a ball and glove. My arm is still fine. I through 88-90mph off the mound and have been clocked at 92mph curl hop from right field.

I'm a firm believer in mechanics as long as you are using perfect mechanics you should be able to through any pitch without hurting your arm. Every pitch should be thrown just like a fastball. It all depends on how you hold the baseball/ what grip you are using. I personally think that people hurt their arms worse with fastballs because they are trying to gas up and throw so damn hard. When people throw curves they get on top of the pitch more and work down the mound saving their arm and worrying about their mechanics more.

And as for that last comment "nobody's curve breaks 2 feet" have you ever seen kerry wood/ or any major league pitcher for that matter, buckle batters knees so bad they fall down thinking that the ball is coming at or behind their head? Well it is a lot farther than 2 feet from behind my head to the outside corner of the plate where kerry wood's pitch ends up.

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got base ball and foot ball trying to fine out how much [ 1 Answers ]

Oj simpson 1975 card Two pete rose cards Will mays baseball gold card 1964 Michael jordan rookie baseball card

Once again she throws a curve. [ 5 Answers ]

I have posted before about the relationship that I am currently in. In short, we had a week of tough times and kind of got back together. I say kind of because I have stayed at her house twice since this happened and we have been talking everyday. The last time I stayed with her she made...

Learning Curve [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking a managerial accounting course online and am having a difficult time trying to figure many problems, but at the moment, just the one below. The text is not very helpful. Here is the problem: Two guys work for a landscaping company. In performing their primary job the first time it...

Curve fittings [ 1 Answers ]

I have curve and someone made an equation. OK, the questiones now are: 1-how can I think to make an equation? 2-what is the level of validity of this equation? thank u very much for helping

View more questions Search