Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn01 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
    Duplex separate meter
    I have a question I just bought a converted dupex but the house just has one electrical panel and the previous owner just paid for the electricity. I want to change that so that each apartment has it own panel and meter. Now I wanted to find out if I were to separate the wires at the panel and re-route the wiring to the 2nd floor apartment would that be a problem with the city code or would I have to install new wiring. I wanted to have the new panel on the second floor apartment so that the tenants have access. Which is the best possible way for me to get it done. Anyone know what would be a ball park price to install an additional meter would be.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2005, 05:20 PM
    Check with the town, many are requiring two family homes to have a third meter installed , for a possible absent landlord meter.

A whole complete separate service may be installed, with all conduit or cable on the exterior surface right up to the panel on the second floor. If there is an attic the new panel can be dropped almost anywhere in the apartment.

If the exisitng service is ready for an upgrade, or the added single service is not possible,then a complete new two meter (or three if required) service can be installed. The second floor feeder can be installed into and through the basement, and up through the walls to the second floor.

This is a real good idea, if you do convert to an apartment, the tenant must have access to their panel. This will prevent them from access to your basement.

This is a job that warrants an experienced pro to evaluate, estimate, and install, and not for a DIY. Contact at least three reputable contractors and ask for ideas and quotes. Be sure the proper permits are filed. Costs will vary greatly depending on the method and the area you are located, my guess is from $1K to$2k.
    Glenn01 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Thank you for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full Duplex Device [ 2 Answers ]

Any Full Duplex Device or Full Duplex Calling Software.

Full Duplex Device [ 1 Answers ]

Any Full Duplex Device or Full Duplex Calling Software.

View more questions Search