Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dparrot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Requirement for Owner Occupied Condominium (CA)
    We purchased a duplex and are converting it to a 2-unit condominium. The local Planning Commission and City Council have already approved the rezoning. We are about ready to submit the CC&R document along with the tentative site map. We want to include a provision that both units must be owner occupied and prohibit the renting of the unit. Our reason is that we will be living in one unit and do not want to deal with a renter in the other unit. This is especially important since we live near a university.

In any case, in an informal discussion with the City Attorney, we were told that we cannot include such a requirement, but she could give no citation. We live in a small California town and there are no prohibitions in any city statute. Also, I am aware of other condominiums in California that have such a requirement. Is this attorney wrong?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Hello d:

I think the City Attorney is wrong. In any case, IF the City Attorney ISN'T part of your permit approval process, what do you care what she thinks?

Certainly banks can require that their borrorows LIVE in the house. If banks can make those provisions, why not you?

excon
    dparrot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 08:39 AM
    The City Attorney must sign off on the CC&R (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) document.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Hello again, d:

Then ask her to cite the law so you/we can look it up, instead of just telling you what the law says.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condominium Repairs due to internal plumbing in association [ 1 Answers ]

I own a condominium and pay monthly association charges. However, recently there was a plumbing problem throughout several condominium units in my development. The internal plumbing on the ground floor was demolished after a detection company found a leak in the old deteriorating pipes underground....

California condominium law [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Southern Califonia in a condominum that is owned by my mother. Because my mom lives out of state, I have her power of attorney regarding the condominium. My question is, am I eligible to run for the Board of Directors? I've been very active in the condo community for many years, and...

View more questions Search