Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banana_nana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Shower tile/handle keeps falling off
    I have a moulded tile in the center wall of my shower that doubles as a grip handle and a soap caddy. I accidentally put too much weight on it one day and it came crashing down, bringing a few surrounding tiles with it. My boyfriend and I have tried many times and many different methods to resecure it, but it just keeps falling down. We applied it the first time with grout adhesive, then we took about 2 sq ft of the surrounding tiles down to replacing the drywall behind the tiles and secured then again and used caulking to seal them. Again fell down. We also have tried nailing two small nails into the drywall to hook onto two holes in the backing of the handle so it would hook on, then sealing again. It fell down again this morning and I don't know how much longer I can take it. Does anyon know of any VERY adhesive products that may work or a different technique I could try before getting a quote for re-doing the entire shower. I'm renting and my landlord has no knowledge of this so far, and I would like to avoid spending $$$$ to retile a shower that I don't own. The tiles surrounding stay secured... its just that handle that keeps falling. I don't know if it is just too heavy? I've checked at home depot, can tire, rona for a lighter substitute-maybe plastic? But they have no idea where I would find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
    You need to use either thin set with calcium. The calcium helps it set faster. Or

You can also use a premixed adhesive or

You thin set and mix in some baking powder, this help take the moisture out more quick also

Which ever you do you'll need to tape onto the wall till it sets up, at least a day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

How do I remove a one handle shower know to tile? [ 2 Answers ]

Find Delta Shower Fixture, Chrome and other Faucets at Aubuchon Hardware I am tiling my tub and I need to remove a one handle shower knob that is very similar to this link. I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I also don't know how to attach a picture of the real handle which would...

How do I remove a one handle shower know to tile? [ 1 Answers ]

Find Delta Shower Fixture, Chrome and other Faucets at Aubuchon Hardware I am tiling my tub and I need to remove a one handle shower knob that is very similar to this link. I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I also don't know how to attach a picture of the real handle which would...

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

View more questions Search