Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djm1988 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 04:50 AM
    I need power in garage
    What is the cheapest solution to power my council garage, which will contain:

2 technics 1210 decks
    1 standard mixer
    1 amp
    2 speakers
    1 computer
    1 monitor
    1 modem

I am starting an internet radio station and need to find the cheapest way to Power my garage.

Oct 8, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by djm1988
    What is the cheapest solution to power my council garage, which will contain:

2 technics 1210 decks
    1 standard mixer
    1 amp
    2 speakers
    1 computer
    1 monitor
    1 modem

I am starting an internet radio station and need to find the cheapest way to Power my garage.
    Please assist?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
    You may only need to string a length of 12-2 with ground from your breaker box to the garage. If it is a detached garage, things will be more complicated and we will need to know how far away. It is also likely you may need more than the 1920 watts a 12-2 would carry. You would need to list the amps or watts for all you equipment. It is possible you may have to run a much larger conductor and set a sub panel. Post back with the additional infor and wait for tkrussell to answer.

Oct 8, 2007, 07:07 AM
    The garage is three miles away from my house so I was looking for a possible generator solution? I will post the info you need when I get home from work with regards to ampage etc.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I saw this question earlier, and decided the information given was irrelevant and lacking detail, receiving a good valid answer that is irrelevant to the situation.

Why does it take so long to get the detail needed to understand a question?

3 miles? Would have been great to see that little detail in the original question.

So your looking for the cheapest generator? Or other alternative power sources that are cheap to run, not necessarily to purchase and install? That would be solar panels, cheap power for substantial installation cost.

Oct 8, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I've looked into this but must be a bit of a noob. Its all this volts and watts stuff I don't understand.

What sort of wattage solar panel am I after?

Do I need a power invertor?

How much am I looking to spend?

I also need to know how long a sonar panel will would last considering it is winter?

And I'm guessing this wouldn't work at night?

Sorry if I'm coming across as thick as pigs muck here guys :D

I'll try and give you some more info with regards to ampage and stuff tonight.

Cheers guys, Dom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Every piece of equipment should have a name plate giving the watts or amps it draws. My big old monitor says 2.0 amps. Watts = volts times amps, so my monitor would draw 240 watts. Since most things are rated in watts, may as well convert everything to watts. Add everything up plus allow something for lights and what a heater may require. Are you going to want a fridge and microwave? Then you can go shopping for a generator or something.

Solar would require an inverter and a bank of batteries for at night. It would save constantly having to keep gas in a generator.

I mostly leave electrical questions go, but knew the first step in this one was to ask for more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From Pouring Garage Pad to Construction of Garage [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to wait after pouring the cement garage pad before you can begin construction on the garage?

Power to garage [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking to run electrical to my garage. I live in Minneapolis, Mn. I have heard numerous ways in which to accomplish this but thought I would ask hear for some further advise? I would also like to put in two outside outlets with boxes and possibly lighting above the boxes in the...

Power to Garage, series of questions [ 1 Answers ]

Searched, learned quite a bit. Here's my specific case: Run from the main box to detached garage ~30ft The garage is pretty small (20x20), and pretty old (~1920) with unfinished interior walls and somewhat deteriorated clapboard siding In the garage I'm planning on the following:...

Lost power to garage door - including remote [ 4 Answers ]

My garage door seems to have lost power somewhere. I don't have power from my remote in the garage, the keypad on the garage door, or either car remotes. I know I have power in the plug-in that it is connected to, but can't seem to figure out the problem - could a battery be out somewhere and...

View more questions Search