Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Oct 8, 2007, 04:13 AM
    Would any fabric do for a canvas
    I am stretching a very big canvas and the only fabric I could find with the right size seems more like.. well it's a bit the same material used in sterile compresses or POP etc.. I mean the wholes are visible. I will put gesso on it of course but I was wondering if it will work or not.. I don't want to have bas surprises later on like cracks or whatever.. so what do you think?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Here's some tips I found,please refer link for more details on canvas tips.
    ----------------------
    Art Canvas Tips - Sketch Canvas Tips - Linen Canvas - Gesso
    Other Canvas Choices
    Linen and cotton are not your only canvas choices, however linen is a popular one. You can also choose from a canvas made of muslin or a canvas made of scrim. Muslin canvases are reasonable priced and not as expensive as other canvas choices. Scrim is also a choice for those wishing to save a bit of money on canvas purchases. Scrim is also a reasonably priced canvas that is made up of strong coarse cotton in a weave that is rectangular. Each of these types of canvas will be great alternatives for a more expensive canvas and should produce similar results when painted on.
    -----
    Why Choose a Linen Canvas?
    Most artists will choose a linen canvas over the other types of canvases on the market. What makes linen canvases so popular? Linen canvas is one of the strongest types of canvas available on the market. This means that a painting done on a linen canvas will last longer and be much more durable when compared to other types of canvas. Linen canvas will hold together over time much longer when compared to a canvas made of cotton and a linen canvas is available in all shapes and sizes for your painting fun!
    -----------------------------------------------------

Oct 9, 2007, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Here's some tips I found,please refer link for more details on canvas tips.
    ----------------------
    Art Canvas Tips - Sketch Canvas Tips - Linen Canvas - Gesso
    Other Canvas Choices
    Linen and cotton are not your only canvas choices, however linen is a popular one. You can also choose from a canvas made of muslin or a canvas made of scrim. Muslin canvases are reasonable priced and not as expensive as other canvas choices. Scrim is also a choice for those wishing to save a bit of money on canvas purchases. Scrim is also a reasonably priced canvas that is made up of strong coarse cotton in a weave that is rectangular. Each of these types of canvas will be great alternatives for a more expensive canvas and should produce similar results when painted on.
    -----
    Why Choose a Linen Canvas?
    Most artists will choose a linen canvas over the other types of canvases on the market. What makes linen canvases so popular? Linen canvas is one of the strongest types of canvas available on the market. This means that a painting done on a linen canvas will last longer and be much more durable when compared to other types of canvas. Linen canvas will hold together over time much longer when compared to a canvas made of cotton and a linen canvas is available in all shapes and sizes for your painting fun!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Thanks. The fabric I got is most probably scrim or muslin so I guess it will be fine... mmmm but they said it deteriorates faster.. and since I am going to be a super famous painter.. this means it has to last longer.. oh well they will just have to figure out a way to restore it ;) thanks a lot thought, now I can start paintingggg hourayyy..
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Glad to help.
    Enjoy your painting.

If possible do show us some of your work here.:)
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...ou-133294.html

Oct 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
    My updates (so you can have a laugh)
    This passage is entitled: THE SURPRISE

So I spent 2 days stretching the canvas…I started first using the pliers like the professionals do it, but then I noticed I could pull the fabric far better using just my hands… and I was very generous with the staples to make sure the fabric was well attached to the board and indefinitely until restoration in year 3000!
    The heavy duty stapler covered my hands in blisters and water bubbles. I now look like Michael Jackson with tapes on my fingers!
    So I finished everything and did the corners beautifully (bcoz most people complain about those).
    The canvas was still on the floor. I thought I would pull it up and place it in place along the wall, ready for next day's task: priming with gesso.
    As I did that TADAAAAAA this is where the surprise hit me! It turns out I probably over stretched it. There were 2 sides that were pulled inwards, distorting the rectangular frame!
    So I took a break to meditate because I was beginning to feel like killing someone… then after thinking for a while, I took out the staples on these two sides (leaving a bit near the corners).. which took like forever since I over did it to begin with like I said earlier…it is beginning to take shape now.. I left it for now. I will check on it tomorrow, for a final diagnosis since maybe It will give the fabric time to relax..

So I just thought I should write this in here in case anyone is stretching a canvas too, to watch out. I haven't re-stapled it yet but for now the fabric is sagging a bit in the middle.. so my worries for tomorrow is the dilemma that if I stretch it the frame will bend and if I don't the fabric will sag. Plus it will make the wrinkles more visible.. Can I iron it do you think? And I know when I prime it, the fabric will pull together and become tighter…right?

Oh well, I will let you know what happens next :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Thanks for the update.

Am I glad I use the canvas already stretched into frames.
    I am sure I would be in worse condition than you;)

Oct 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Well I do too, but sooner or later you will have to do it yourself when you can't find the size you want.
    Anyway I am taking a break now lol
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:04 AM
    How about showing some of your work with a signature... not the ones you do for others.:)
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...ou-133294.html

Oct 20, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Ehemm.. well I only do original work darling, copies are just for amateurs.
    Maybe when I finish the whole set and organize the exhibition I might show a few here.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 01:36 AM
    Just a thought! It is late in my part of the world so maybe I missed a detail. You may have mentioned the size of the canvas. If it is very large, had you thought about putting a bracing piece within the frame to stablilize it so when you stretched the canvas hard, it would not distort the rectangular frame? If very large, you may need two bracing pieces within the framework.

Also, a question. Are you doing a gallery wrap?

Nov 1, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Just a thought! It is late in my part of the world so maybe I missed a detail. You may have mentioned the size of the canvas. If it is very large, had you thought about putting a bracing piece within the frame to stablilize it so when you stretched the canvas hard, it would not distort the rectangular frame? If very large, you may need two bracing pieces within the framework.

Also, a question. Are you doing a gallery wrap?

I am not sure what you mean but I think that's what I did . Here is what it looks like:
    The whole thing is about 2 meters high and 3 meters long.
    I have placed a metal right angle thing at the four corners to keep everything in place.
    Along the 3 meter sides I have placed 2 other bars horizontally (probably the bracing pieces you mentioned), which I also strengthened with a metal thing to the rest . This has kept the longer side in place and prevented it from being stretched inwards. But the problem is the 2 meter sides.
    I thought about placing a bracing piece in the other direction too but it's not possible and I don't know how to do it. Well I don't think it has ever been done anyway because I have never seen it before at least.

WAIT I haven't reached the good part yet lol.. so after I removed the staples the first time only on the width sides (leaving the ones on the longer sides in place) the frame took a normal shape again and then I restapled it again but this time leaving the canvas a bit loose not sagging but not really stretched the way it should and this kept the frame OK.
    I was relieved and took a few days to relax hehe because it was really making me nervous and worried. This time also I was generous with the stapling thinking I got it this time.

Then I applied the GESSO which took like forever also bcoz of the size. I planned to do 2 coats to make it perfect. So I did the first one and left it to dry, hoping that the canvas will pull back like I was told and it will no longer sag. It did, BUT to my surprise it once more over stretched and the 2 meter sides were pulled in again! So I unstapled the two sides again to give it more room , the boards went back into place but now I have deep vertical wrinkles on the sides because it was as if I was resizing the whole thing. I tried polishing them to reduce them. I used water I even ironed it over a damp cloth. It reduced it a bit but it still shows a bit. Today I started with the second coat hoping it will cover it up. I have left the two sides unstapled , I will leave them until I finish the 2nd coat this way the canvas will take its final shape. I will stretch it again once I finish priming. I hope it will work this time. What do you think? I will probably sand paper it a bit if the wrinkle is still obvious. And probably once I paint over it it won't show all that much...
    Well now you know my Adventures with Canvas Stretching, the Return lol
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Hey there! WOW! By the time you finish with this project, you will be a pro!!
    I think this first link may address the issue you spoke about regarding the wrinkling or indentions. It seems to be more trouble than I would go to yet feel it would work out well. The second link is just basic information on how to stretch a canvas but it was small and didn't appear to need the extra bracing in the middle to keep the frame from becoming distorted. I hope someone who does this often will see your post and be able to help you more than I have but perhaps the links will help you a bit.

The third link, if you scroll almost all the way to the bottom, you will see how they braced a large canvas to keep the frame from becoming distorted from the pulling. Let me know if these helped at all! I wish you all the best.

I had two of my Giclee prints stretched on frames and the guy did the gallery wrap. They look really nice but one thing I advise is to always allow three inches on all sides of your canvas because if you really get into stretching your own canvas all the time, you will want to invest in specific tools to pull the fabric or canvas as you work with it and you need the extra canvas on all side in order to do the gallery wrap. I like the gallery wrap because they have such a clean line finish to them and do not have to be framed.

You may want to view the third link first and scroll almost to the bottom of it to see the extra bracing!

How to Make Your Own Stretcher Bars for a Stretched Canvas Painting

How to Stretch Canvas: A Tutorial with Step-by-step Instructions

Great Applications

Best to you!
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Hi there Edz!
    I totally understand about the cross bracing being a bit much. When I want to paint, I just want to get in there and paint! I wish you much success!

Nov 3, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Exactly, that's how I feel right now. I have had it with all this. After I am done with the canvas I don't think I will have enough energy left to paint lol
    But it's looking good today though, I will just sandpaper it a bit and maybe add coat and it will be just fine:)
    Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzmedz
    Exactly, that's how i feel right now. I have had it with all this. After I am done with the canvas I don't think I will have enough energy left to paint lol
    But it's looking good today though, I will just sandpaper it a bit and maybe add an additional coat and it will be just fine:)
    Thanks.
    I had a thought the other day when we were writing and again now when you mentioned sanding. Just a tidbit, take it for what it is worth. I use to be Vice-President of a Beauty Supply and as such had opportunity to do a lot of the buying for the store. In our product line for nail care, we sold some white four-sided sanding blocks. They are almost like foam, covered with an abrasive. The first brand was Alpha-9 I believe but I have purchased others since then. They are a little pliable to whatever surface shape you are working with and also, not as difficult to handle as sand paper. I use them, not only on my nails, but on every surface I work with. They are gentle enough to use on your nails and cuticles yet abrasive enough for light sanding of surfaces to give a really smooth surface. Sound like a commercial don't I? LOL Don't mean to but I think most Beauty Supply houses would carry them. Some houses only allow licensed hair dressers to purchase from them but others have an open to the public part and hold only part of their supplies in reserve for hairdressers only. You might call before going. I walked into one years ago and was informed I couldn't purchase anything and it did not make me a happy camper!! LOL

Well, let me PM you here in a bit. Much luck to finish your project!

Nov 3, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Thanks Jrebel for the offer you are so sweet. But I kind of have this slight problem if I tell you what it is you will make fun of me lol actually my mother and sister both use those all the time... and I have to tell you whenever it happens and they are polishing near me I always feel like puking hehe it's a kid of phobia or something.. well not phobia because it's not like Iam scared of it , but just a sudden urge to puke hehe.. so I prefer to use the regular sand papers... I hope I won't think of nails while I am polishing now that you made the connection ! :)
    PS: I live farrrrr awayyyyyyyyyyyy... Ever heard of a tiny country called LEBANON? Well that's where I live :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzmedz
    Thanks Jrebel for the offer u are so sweet. But I kinda have this slight problem if I tell u what it is u will make fun of me lol actually my mother and sister both use those all the time... and I have to tell u whenever it happens and they are polishing near me I always feel like puking hehe it's a kid of phobia or something.. well not phobia coz it's not like Iam scared of it , but just a sudden urge to puke hehe..so I prefer to use the regular sand papers... I hope I wont think of nails while I am polishing now that u made the connection ! :)
    PS: I live farrrrr awayyyyyyyyyyyy.....Ever heard of a tiny country called LEBANON ?? well that's where i live :)
    Oh Edz!! Sorry to make you have those feelings about sanding! :( Just "block" the thoughts! LOL :) Anyway, anytime I file my nails, my family cringes so I do totally get it! Sorry!

Yep, I have heard of Lebanon? Have you heard of Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Let me know how the stretching of canvas goes for you! I know you will get it accomplished! You have determination!! Proud of you for hanging in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Sox Fabric [ 5 Answers ]

:( I was wondering if any of you know where I can get some Red Sox fabric (thats not fleece) Thanks~

What's a good way to clean mildew off the canvas on my pop-up camper? [ 4 Answers ]

My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!

Upholstery fabric [ 1 Answers ]

Where Can I Find Quality Upholstery Fabric By The Roll At Less Than Wholesale Jobber Price. Looking For Large Quantity.

View more questions Search