Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baugh1959 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Ownership of firearms
    If there is a individual caught with a firearm, and is under age as well, and was processed
    With procession of a firearm. Also if it was consider a misdemeanor with no intent will
    This be on that individuals record, even when they were caught when they were under age. Will this remain on their permanent record, or will it drop off after they turn eighteen, or twenty-one?

Good evening,

Is the legal system allowed to prolong the date until a minor turns legal age for a misdemeanor, possession of a firearm? Actually the person with them had it, but
    They were charged also. This person was not of age yet, and was to turn eighteen
    In several weeks, or possibly a month. The court system prolong the date of the
    Hearing to charge this individual with possession, and gave this person that wasn't
    Even carrying it, and not criminal activity was going on. Just caught with these
    Individuals, and most of them were under age. The person (boy) wasn't of age for
    Several weeks, and the court system gave this boy six years, two years in jail, and
    Four years probation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
    When you say "underage" what was the age, If they were a minor and you were in the US the records of minors are sealed when they turn 18.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 11:49 PM
    The date of the trial does not matter, it is the age of the person at the time of the crime.
    Court cases can take years.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Hello baugh:

Something isn't kosher here...

You can't get 2 years in the slam and 4 years on probation for a misdemeanor. Additionally, you don't get 2 years in the slam and 4 years on probation, especially if you're a minor, for simply possessing a firearm.

If you would like to tell us what REALLY happened and what he was REALLY charged with, maybe we can help. I don't mean to imply that you're lying. You are, however, misinformed.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2007, 06:04 AM
    I have to agree with excon here. You aren't telling us the whole story. I really find it hard to believe that a minor would be sentenced to 2 years incarceration just for being in a group where one or more of the group possessed a firearm.

Some possible scenerios are that the minor had a prior record, or the group committed a crime or crimes.
    baugh1959 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Thanks for your input, and I tend to agree also,
    But the facts in a different state sometimes make up
    Guidelines as they go along. The facts came from a
    Parent that had talk with an attourney from that
    Jurisdiction, and informed him because of his rough
    Record, and attitude if he comes back, and gets in
    Trouble they will throw the book away. Well everybody
    And their mother has some sort of record, and again
    We are talking about a minor. Though they are not
    Perfect, and shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they
    Want, and whenever they want to do it. Rules, and laws
    Are there to be carried out to the letter, and the law, and
    Or civilian has no right to break it no matter what their
    Own personal agendas may be at the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
    So what you are saying is this minor had a prior record and was warned to stay out of trouble. Yet he ignored the warning hanging out with a gang that was armed. And when he was caught they "threw the book at him". And you have a problem with this?? Vave you heard the saying, if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime?

Sounds to me like the punk got what he deserved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firearms: Views, Truths and Taboos [ 35 Answers ]

What is your view on owning a type of weapon, used solely for the purpose of defending your property, home, collecting, etc *Keep in mind that I emphasize safety first, meaning that proper handling, knowledge, safety, stowing and security of said weapon is an primary MUST.* Personally, yes. I...

View more questions Search