Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkepster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
    18 HP Yard Machine Won't turn over ?
    I have a 18 HP Yard Machine Riding mower, bought it new in 2002, went to cut the grass today and nothing... I tried to jump start it, charged the battery, cleaned terminals, and still nothing. When I turn the key to start it there's a slight click, but not from the starter. I even tried to jump the starter directly, and nadda... Anyone have a few steps I could take to eliminate things, and get down to the problem? I already have eliminated the battery as a possibility... Thank you for any assistance.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Turn the flywheel counterclockwise by turning on the flywheel cover then try starting and see what happens
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Did you get it yet?
    kkepster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 03:20 AM
    No, no luck so far, I tried your suggestion esquire1 but nadda. I dug out my volt/ohm meter and followed the current from the battery with the key on and the key turned to start, and in either position current is lost at the solenoid. The ignition switch works properly, allowing current through when engaged, and the fuse is fine. I was almost ready to decide the solenoid was bad, but thought I would check the starter as well with current to it, just to be sure it would engage, so I pulled 2 bolts, took it out and used jumper cables on the positive post and grounded the starter body... and nadda!! The starter is not operating, and current isn't getting past the solenoid. There has been no power surge, and find it very odd for 2 different components to have failed at the same time, but that is exactly what I believe I'm facing... Any ideas with this new information??
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Yes, if the solenoid did malfunction, it could have also ruined the starter. Or vice versa.
    tonyjordan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Where os the solenoid on this model

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd yard machine [ 2 Answers ]

My MTD 14.5 hp yard machine has been hard to start for a while. Turn the key and back off several times before it will start.. I replaced the ignition switch and the solenoid and now it does not even make a sound. What else could it be.

Yard Machine troubeshooting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have an MTD manufactured Yard Machine ride-on lawn tractor. Everything runs smoothly until I engage the PTO (cutting blade). The machine is in the correct gear with the throttle open the correct amount and the deck lowers without incident. Yet when I attempt to engage the blade, the...

Yard Machine Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 18.5HP MTD Yard Machine that the choke cable will not pullout on. How can I fix this?

View more questions Search