Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clueless73 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Ceiling Fan Switch Replaced; Fan no longer has an "off" setting
    Hi,

The chain for my ceiling fan broke inside the switch. I bought a replacement switch that is identical to the old switch (same part number). I had a professional install the new switch. After he left, I discovered that the fan will not turn off (speeds are: 1. slow, 2. fast, and 3. very fast). Is there any way that I can fix the problem myself? Please help. Thanks.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
    It sounds like the switch is defective or not wired properly.

Pull the switch from the fan and connect a meter to the power in wire and the exit wire. Set the meter to Resistance. You should see 3 zero Ohms sections and one infinite resistance.

Zero (0) would be the 3 speeds and infinite would be off.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Are you sure it was the identical switch, same brand and part number, or listed in a cross reference? Still, most switches do have an off position.

Not everybody that takes money for repair work is a professional. If the switch is the right switch, a real professional will cheerfully come back and fix the problem for free. Everybody makes a mistake some times. Good people are anxious to correct theirs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Since you matched the part number we don't need to ask that question and it is nearly impossible to wire this switch incorrectly. It is likely a bad switch but since you paid a pro I'd definitely call him back. I'd also ask him why he did not test the fan before leaving your home? Obviously he had not.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I agree. Either the switch is NOT exactly the same, or the professional did not wire it correctly.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced ceiling fan light switch - problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a ceiling fan with 2 pull chains (fan, light). It also operates via remote control. The wall switch is just on & off. In a perfect world, when it was first installed, the remote would make the lights brighter & dimmer. The remote would also do 4 different fan speeds. At some point,...

Harbor Breeze 69" Ceiling Fan : Does not remember setting when turned off at wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a Harbor Breeze 69" Ceiling Fan from lowes and the unit works great! However, I have a major gripe with the product and hopefully you can help me out. I flip the switch on the wall, then turn on lights and or fan with remote and everything works fine. I flip the switch on...

Hampton Bay "Belmont" Model Ceiling Fan-Reversing [ 3 Answers ]

I have had many fans through the years that were reversubke (including four in my home when I installed the Belmont), and all of them are reversible via a sliding switch on the side of the housing--as indicated by the two members who responded to my first question. However, there is no such...

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"? [ 6 Answers ]

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"?

Using 4.5" downrod instead of 12"-Hampton Bay ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a Hampton Bay-Frontera ceiling fan with the optional 4.5" downrod option instead of the standard 12". It does not appear that the 4.5" rod will fit because of the fan's decorative scroll. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

View more questions Search