Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1936roadster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
    How do I splice #6 wire in a junction box?
    How do I splice #6 wire in a junction box ?
    1936roadster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1936roadster
    how do i splice #6 wire in a junction box ?
    How do I splice #6 wire in a junction box ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Depends on how you are using the #6 wire.

What feeds the #6 wire?
    What do you want to connect the #6 too?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Blue wire nuts work well, read the instructions for stripping. Most will say twisting the wires is not necessary. Electricians will still twist, built into us.

There are connectors called split bolts, or "bugs". These work well but require finesse and technique to apply two layers of tape, one rubber tape and the second 3M 33+ electrical tape.

The are also mechanical connectors or lugs, tightening a set screw for each , and already insulated with rubber.

Option #1 or 3 will be easier for a DIY'er, and provide a secure and safe splice..
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Seems to me I recently saw twist the wire at what I thought was a reliable source, the box or something, GB brand. The box also gave the number of wires of different sizes each nut fit. A lot to be learned by reading the instructions. The less experience and training you have in an area, the more important.
    carolinabee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    I want to splice 2 pieces of #6 wire togeather to carry 240 volt 50 amps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Wire in ceiling junction box [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a chandlier in an existing ceiling junction box, however, the previous home owner did not have a light fixture attached. There are four wires coming out of the box, white, red, black and red. This junction box is connected to a wall switch with a dimmer. What do I connect...

Another Junction Box ? [ 9 Answers ]

Again, thanks to everyone for all their valuable information as I wire up my Recording Studio addition. :) You guys are great! ;) I have another question reference the use of Junction boxes. On a couple of my framed walls, where I wired in outlets, some of the outlets (for like Exit Signs) are...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

Junction box as a cover? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a junction box currently that I need to add wiring to. It has the opening and internal clamps to add two more wires but this would put the box over its legal limit of wires in the box. The box is in a location that can be gotten at without removing any part of the building. The box is...

Junction Box Fill [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find what the fill capacity on electrical junction boxes are. I found this chart The thing that is stumping me is do you count grounds or not? For example, the specific instance that has me looking is that I have a 4x4x1 1/4 box, with 4 12/2 cables in it. If you don't...

View more questions Search