Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Oct 7, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Toilet not flushing
    I have read all the posts and tried to fix my toilet, however, it still won't flush. I have checked the little jet hole at the bottom (it's clear). I have cleared the jet holes at the rim with a coat hanger (again, clear). My water is not filling in the tank enough (about 1/2" below "water level line" as marked). I don't have a float ball (it just has a black round piece connected to a tiny metal rod that it floats up and down on) and know nothing about adjusting this kind. The problem is that the water will swirl in the bowl, but it won't go down. Sometimes, if you hold the handle down for 6-7 sec. it will flush all the way.

Do I just replace the toilet?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2007, 10:41 AM
    First off. Toilets don't wear out. Toilet parts do. That said let's adjust the water level in your tank. You have a FluidMaster ballcock,(see image).
    The float can's secured by a clip. Compress this clip and slide the can up to increase the tank level and down to lower it. Check the jet hole again and make sure the little tube coming out of the top of the ballcock's connected to the white overflow tube. This tube fills t6he bowl as the tank's filling. Good luck, Tom

Oct 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Ok, that helped. However, the C.L. is not 1" above my overflow pipe. Problem? It's about 1/2" above. I have the water level adj. clip as far up as it will go (to the little notch in the link. I have tried to adjust the height of the valve body, but can't get it to budge. Am I not doing it right? :o I also think that my flapper needs to be replaced (real flimsy), so I'll hit the store tomorrow.
    Thanks soooooooo much for your expertise advise, speedball!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Speedball:

If the holes under the rim were mostly clogged and could not be fixed by probing, wouldn't this be a toilet that "wore out"?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:32 PM
    I think it would be wore out . Becsause you would break it to get it cleared , good thinking Keepitsimplestupid F.B.E. But good advise Speedball::::
    trueblooe Posts: 31, Reputation: -9

Oct 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    I have read all the posts and tried to fix my toilet, however, it still won't flush. I have checked the little jet hole at the bottom (it's clear). I have cleared the jet holes at the rim with a coat hanger (again, clear). My water is not filling in the tank enough (about 1/2" below "water level line" as marked). I don't have a float ball (it just has a black round piece connected to a tiny metal rod that it floats up and down on) and know nothing about adjusting this kind. The problem is that the water will swirl in the bowl, but it won't go down. Sometimes, if you hold the handle down for 6-7 sec., it will flush all the way.

Do I just replace the toilet?
    Call 1800plumber they will help[ don't try and fix it yourelf

Oct 8, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Nope... I am a do-it-yourselfer.. in other words, broke as a joke. That's why I ask questions for the answers that I don't know. Speedball has been 100% correct so far... so I'll trust his knowledge. The toilet is actually working a lot better now... just it would work perfectly if the water line was correct.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    speedball:

If the holes under the rim were mostly clogged and could not be fixed by probing, wouldn't this be a toilet that "wore out"?
    Good thinking but no cigar! I repeat! PORCELAIN TOILETS DO NOT WEAR OUT.
    As a boy working in my fathers shop in Wisconsin I would have toilets that were filled with lime deposits that clogged the rim holes. I boiled the toilet bowl out by pouring muriatic acid in the rim and bowl. Rim holes and bowl deposits gone and tolet as good as new by replacing all the innards. You guys are too ready to replace when repair is just as good for a lot less money. I didn't mention that the use of muriatic acid and breathing the fumes scarred my lungs for life. I don't recommend using muriatic acid to clean out a toilet but wanted to point out that unless the porcelain's cracked or broken they just don't "wear out".
    Regards, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    Nope...I am a do-it-yourselfer..in other words, broke as a joke. That's why I ask questions for the answers that I don't know. Speedball has been 100% correct so far....so I'll trust his knowledge. The toilet is actually working alot better now...just it would work perfectly if the water line was correct.
    Let me give you some more tips from their site. Click on, Fluidmaster | Troubleshooting | Questions and Answers
    Good luck, Tom
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Speedball1 , WE were only pulling your leg because of the way you had put (never wear out)IT was kind funny. Have a good day . BY the way I always tried to save the customer money . Only toilets I ever replaced were broken.I replaced ,one toilet 2 times in 3 weeks ,both broken , the lady weighed over 400lb's .NO JOKE F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New toilet not flushing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am Meriel My husband and I have just installed a new toilet. We are remodeling our bathroom and we are having a problem with our new toilet! It does not want to flush it takes two or three flushes to empty the bowl and it gets a big air bubble. We are not new to remodeling but this...

Toilet not flushing [ 3 Answers ]

We have to jiggle the handle to get it to flush. Cistern is filling up OK. What can we do ourselves or do we need to get a plumber in?

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

Toilet not flushing all the way [ 1 Answers ]

I just put in a new toilet and it will not flush all the way down if you put a bucket of water down it then it will flush . I had the septic tank emptyed it did not fix the problem.

Toilet not flushing [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet has stopped flushing. The water is in the cistern and if I push the ball down the water fills up. It feels like there s no pressure when I push the handle. I have no plumbing knowledge at all so could you tel me what is causing this and how I can fix it without calling a plumber if...

View more questions Search