Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryanng1016 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Is my marriage in trouble?
    I have been married for 7 years and have two children, ages 6 and 2. My husband is considerate, thoughtful and basically loving; however, I feel very disconnected from him. He gets up to do work on the computer (answer emails, etc) at 5 or 5:30 each morning and is ready for bed by 9:30 each night. On the other hand, I like to sleep until around 7 and go to bed around 11. Thus, we rarely have sex, maybe two or three times per month. He seems very caught up in work (he owns his own business). I work about 30 hours per week as a social worker and have significantly downscaled my career since we had kids. I don't like the town we live in, but we live here due to his business location. I moved here when we got married and have never really been happy here. It's a small town with few people I want to be befriend.

So, I have a considerate hubby, great kids, little sex, and little time with my husband. I know I have issues in this (resistance to friendships in the town, still carrying 30 lbs from last pregnancy, etc.). Here's my question... how do I fix this? When I try to talk to my husband, he says he thinks our marriage is great and he doesn't know what I'm talking about. He also says he does not want to move because of his business. So, am I just unrealistic in my expectations or should I move on and pursue a life that feels better to me?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Think of the pros and cons
    How do you think you would you really feel after leaving him
    And his feelings?
    What do you think you would gain by 'moving on'?
    The grass isn't always greener and often there is no going back.
    Rather than talking about your relationship and how to fix it
    Try to think of things you can do to make it more exciting -get creative.
    star3114 Posts: 234, Reputation: 44

Oct 6, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Try marriage counseling. The grass may seem greener on the other side, but it usually isn't. It just gives you extra baggage to deal with.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Oct 7, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Maybe you should find another job, so that you could spend more time with your husband
    Matt86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
    I agree with Marily. I think you should find another job that you could spend more time with your husband. Also you should talk to him about this topic because you need to have the pressure of sex. Seriously, If one of you don't feel the pressure of sex with the other one, he or she will have sex with another person instead of the husband or the wife.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Why not ask your husband if you could help him in the office when you are short on hours.

Bring him lunch at work and force him to have lunch with you.
    momtofour Posts: 48, Reputation: 16

Oct 10, 2007, 08:54 AM
    I would put a plan together. The first part of the plan should address spending more one on one time with your husband. Set a date night, non negotiable, go out just the two of you, blow dry your hair, throw on some makeup and rekindle that fire! Second part, get out there, join a committee, a book club, a gym and make some new friends. There must be someone out there that you connect with as a girlfriend, we all need them! Thirdly, start walking! It will invigorate you and it is a great outlet to clear your head. Involve your children and husband, just do it, srart walking! Get that pre-pregnancy figure back and regain some of your positive energy while bonding with your family. You will be amazed at how losing 10, 20 lbs can boost your spirits! Give it a try, try it for 3 months! It took me an entire year to get back to my wedding weight (lost 25 lbs and it feels GREAT!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Not only have you slipped into a rut, but don't seem to be on the same page at this time. Your unwillingness to not make friends has you feeling isolated and alone. You need to do what you enjoy, and have time for yourself and make time for your husband. Not easy, but getting out of that routine, and finding peace and enjoyment is your responsibility, to yourself. Work on building your own life.
    star3114 Posts: 234, Reputation: 44

Oct 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
    It is hard to find happiness in others, if you are unhappy with yourself.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
    I would start by changing your bedtime. Unless you have a committed reason (work hours, kid schedules) I would start by compromising there. That would give you both a lot more time together with added intamacy. Not just sexual, but time to talk... just time together.

I can understand your rut, but these problems you're describing can be worked on.
    Good luck
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Oct 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Look around this site, and see how sad people are from broken marriages, broken families. People are dying to have what you have.
    You have a considerate basically loving hubby, and you are willing to ruin your marriage over the town you live in? C'mon girl! Plan a trip once in a while. He is probably consumed with making a living for his family.Running your own business is harder than working for anyone else. I KNOW.
    A smart girl (and I know you are one) would be able to figure out something to spice things up at home. You are not isolated as people used to be in small towns, you got us, the whole world, on your computer.
    veronica459 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2007, 01:58 AM
    Waking up at 5 and having coffee with each other would make a big difference especially since the kids would still be asleep, and you two would have some time to yourselves. If that's not possible, than maybe he could stay up until 10 even a half hour of QT is a start.
    I also agree with the gym membership and or walking with your DH as the weight maybe something that is effecting your attitude toward everything and everyone else. Happiness starts with you...
    Don't throw in the towel just yet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble with intimacy in marriage [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 2 1/2 years, but seem to have suffered from some degree of bedroom intimacy issues for the last 5 or so. We have been together for 8 or so years and used to have a very healthy and happy love life. Over time her lebito has slowly worsened to the almost grinding...

Young marriage in trouble [ 9 Answers ]

I was 18 when I had my daughter and was married a few weeks later. My husband has just told me that he likes someone he works with. I went through the same thing myself but got over it quickly. He is having a harder time and has told me he doesn't want to be with me. We have been together 4 years...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

I found out soon after my husband and I had a baby that he was intimately talking with one of his ex's basically telling her that he wished she had his baby instead of me and also leading her to believe that he was going to leave me for her. He also had contacted another ex saying that he loved...

Marriage in trouble... [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this forum. I need some advice, please? My husband and I met and started dating 10 yrs. Ago. We got married after 5 years of dating. My husband won custody of his 17 yr. old daughter and his 18 yr. old son a year ago, they came to live with us. My husbands oldest son who is 21...

View more questions Search