Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:27 PM
    My Rabbit!
    I think there is something wrong with my rabbit and I think she might die!

She is losing weight, I can feel her ribs and her backbone, but she eats and drinks fine! She is also pulling out her hair and biting herself, making huge sores. She doesn't have bugs, and I know pulling out hair is a sign of pregnancy in a rabbit, but she's never mated!

She is 2, and I know rabbits don't live very long. Could she be getting ready to die? If there is something wrong with her, can anyone tell me what it might be?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
    I am no expert on rabbits,but I have read somewhere that rabbits eat their fur when they feel lonely?

I may have the wrong information...
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
    I hope she doesn't feel lonely :(

I don't see how she could, she gets lots of attention.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
    I think more like another rabbit... for company.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I think more like another rabbit...for company.
    Oh okay. I thought you meant from me :p

I had another rabbit about 6 months ago and she got real territorial and killed the new rabbit, although I don't know how. I just woke up one morning to find the new one dead. Maybe she wants to mate? Do they go into heat like other animals do?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Rabbit Illness Diseases Treatment I hope this helps. Hopefully you can get her some answers/help.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Rabbit Illness Diseases Treatment I hope this helps. Hopefully you can get her some answers/help.
    Thank you, I think I found it!! She has the same symptoms as the Hair Blockage one, although I don't know what "molt" means.

You rock!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Molt is just when they shed their old hair and grow new. Never heard this term for rabbits , I know it is a term used for chicknes losing their feathers.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Oh OK thanks! She has always been a shedder pretty much ever since I've had her.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Aw Erika, I don't know anything about rabbits, but I just wanted to say that I hope she's going to be OK...
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    Aw Erika, I don't know anything about rabbits, but I just wanted to say that I hope she's going to be ok...

Aww I want to give you a greenie but I must have given you one recently. Thank you so much! :)
    Punkergurl13 Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I think there is something wrong with my rabbit and I think she might die!!

She is losing weight, I can feel her ribs and her backbone, but she eats and drinks fine! She is also pulling out her hair and biting herself, making huge sores. She doesnt have bugs, and I know pulling out hair is a sign of pregnancy in a rabbit, but she's never mated!

She is 2, and I know rabbits dont live very long. Could she be getting ready to die? If there is something wrong with her, can anyone tell me what it might be?
    When animals show signs of biting themselves they feel depressed. Look at her surroundings. Is she cramped? Is there enough light in her room? Does she get enough interaction with "human beings" (quality time?) Birds do this a lot tooo...

-meg
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkergurl13
    when animals show signs of biting them selves they feel depressed. look at her surroundings. is she cramped? is there enough light in her room? does she get enough interaction with "human beings" (quality time?) Birds do this alot tooo....

-meg
    She seems fine when it comes to all of that. She's not cramped, and she gets tons of attention from me and my son. That's why I think she's actually sick. :confused:
    star3114 Posts: 234, Reputation: 44

Oct 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
    This may sound weird but is she able to eat her own poo? In order for rabbits to stay healthy, they have to digest their food twice. It goes out and then goes back in again. Does she have at least a small portion of her cage where her poo can set... or is the cage all wire?
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
    That is very interesting, I did not know that. I haven't really seen her eat it, but I haven't really been watching for it either since I didn't know about it.

Her cage is wire around the sides and plastic on the bottom. I put wood shavings in the bottom of the cage to soak up the pee and poo.

Oct 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
    So can she reach her poo as needed?
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Yes very easily :)

Oct 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Okay, then malnutrition doesn't seem to be the issue.

Oct 8, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Do you suppose that she is getting lonely and needs a male companion?
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 10:28 PM

Hello, for the weight maybe try a different brand of food?
    And for the hair pulling maybe she is bored, let her run around on her own and explore.. also my rabbit loves the cat balls with the bells in them, maybe get her a few of them... hope I helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit OK outside? [ 24 Answers ]

Our family got a Lop Ear Rabbit. She is 11 weeks old. She's not tiny by any means. I am allergic to her. I was planning to keep her in a cage inside, but now I can not do that. Is it OK to put her outside in a cage? Protected from the rain. The cage does have a roof. I'm just worried about the heat...

My rabbit? [ 6 Answers ]

I am going to get a new rabbit but I don't know if I should keep him outside or in a cage can I keep him outside when he will sleep or will he run away or something help!:o

New rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new mini lop the pet store said he is about 7 weeks old. I have been trying to litter train him. He is doing really well but when he gets onto the couch with me or my boyfriend he always pees and poops on the couch. Is this becoming a habit and if so how do we break him of this so he...

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search