Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xEoMxMoAxx Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Model Search America. Worth it?
    Hey, I'm 14 years old and I just recently learned about Model Search America which takes place in Vegas. Anyway I really want to get into acting for a career and make my big break. Is model search America the right thing to go to for that and is it worth it?
    xEoMxMoAxx Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
    If it is a scam, does anyone know anywhere else to be noticed?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 02:45 AM
    I would suggest getting involved in community theater, plays and musicals at school, etc. Talk to a music teacher or drama teacher where you are. When you are old enough to work in such a place, maybe there is a dinner theater near to where you are located in which you could get involved in acting and also maybe working for them so that you would then have an "in" as to what is happening in the industry. There are probably some local pageants in which you might like to become involved also.

Do you sing? Do you play some on the piano? Being able to do those things are also things that might help you to accomplish your goal.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Yep, Start from the grass root level, because you get much valued experience than just starting in a big movie..
    jennatec81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 07:20 PM
    I've seen this question over and over about anything modeling related. Here is a quick breakdown of how to check for a modeling scam:

Are they an agency offering to make you famous for a set amount of money? If yes, it's a scam.

In the case of Model Search America, this is not true. They are a private convention company and they charge a fee to attend their convention (just like a business convention or electronics expo but for the modeling industry). They have agencies that attend the convention to scout for new models and Model Search America offers you exposure to those agencies.

Model Search America itself is not an agency and they do not represent models. They are a business like any other and they are entitled to charge a fee for their services.

The benefits with the way they do things is that many agencies are there from multiple cities and states at one time. According to their website, they have been endorsed by Pink from "The Agency" and Janice D.i.c.kinson. I remember seeing Model Search America appear on The Janice D.i.c.kinson show in one episode.

There is also the fact that they are a member of the BBB and have a good rating. So it would appear that they have been doing business as they should.

I would be inclined to believe that Model Search America is probably legitimate based on the above factors.
    Kimberlyhunt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Hello, I noticed that you were asking a question in regards to Model Search America. I also found that you haven't received any responses from people who have actually attending the event. I have and now I am signed with Elite Model Management and Envy Model Management. The event was for the most part very well organized, including your hotel, lots of seminars, meal buffets and nightly parties. You'll have a blast meeting up to 2,000 other people from all over the USA, that even if you aren't exactly what the agencies are calling back right then you'll have a have and be better prepared for the next step of your career.

Plus, you can think about it this way. If you like knocking on a lots door to the top USA agencies and not really ever get anyway, keep trying. Otherwise take advange of this chance to walk the run-way in front of over 60 plus agencies, with all eyes on you. Then you'll walk with two head shot in front of all agencies one by one. Thirdly call backs provide a chance to sit down and interview each agency that you have an interest in. I don't know how serious you are, but I have been in and out of this industry for years now, and I don't know of any other program that actually follows through like Model Search America.

Lastly, if and when you are discovered through Model Search America they will personally follow you and your career offering you and opporunity to speak about your experience with them as well a become a representative for them.

A convention for Models & Actors provided by some of the top Models & Actors. It's that simiple. Take the chance, what do you have to loose?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyhunt1
    Take the chance, what do you have to loose?
    Apparently a great deal of money with nothing to show for it.
    vesselsofhonor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Attended the event in Vegas Dec. 2007. Keep your money and start at home. The website is misleading. If you can pay the 1300.00 fee you are invited regardless of looks/personality. You are paraded in front of scouts and if they pick you for a call-back YOU have to relocate yourself at your own expense and then not guaranteed a job. You still have to attend the classes and pay for photos. Maybe 5% of the 1500 people attending were called back to interview with agents and the 5% were still asking if it was worth it. There are no instant contracts. From home you can submit yourself and be interviewed by agents, get pictures w/o having to travel to another state to be told the same thing. That's why they hold it in Vegas because if your not called back you can say you went to Vegas.
    dia102397 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Hey I just left vegas in dec of 2007, was fun I meet a lot of people, it's true that you spent a lot of money, but even if you don't get a call back, you still get the experience, meet people from all over the country and learn from them,, guess what I'm going back in 08/01/08 is good... good lock to you!!
    AnnieMac713 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I honestly believe that if you have all it takes;you shouln't stop until you're happy. Good luck
    MC83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 02:15 AM
    I took part in Model Search America back in 1998. It was a fun experience and changed my life in a way. Me and my aunt went to the open call, and when we found out how much it cost for the convention, we were about to walk out because there was no way we could afford it. David Mogul stopped me, and told me he was going to pay for the entire fee because he saw so much potential in me. Although I did get many call backs through Model Search America, and got signed with an agency, I didn't get many jobs out of it, and had to resign from modeling for a while because it wasn't working out. I recently got back into modeling on my own about 5 years ago. I joined a few model networking sites, and now do freelance modeling full time. I traveled to NYC all last summer, walked the runways of Couture Fashion Week, and have been in Magazines and on Book Covers.
    Everyone has there own journey in life, and it all depends on what road you want to take. There's so many resources out there now. If you can get noticed without speding all that money for conventions and classes, I say go with that right now. Try emailing your photos to modeling agencies and looking at when they have open calls. I think that would be the best thing to try right now.

Good luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 03:05 AM
    Very old and now archived thread with sufficient enough answers.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite model quiet guard 7 model 665. [ 12 Answers ]

Six month old dishwasher. Worked fine until today - won't start. LIghts are on and control panel seems to be working OK. The "Clean" indicator is flashing in intervals of 7 flashes and then pauses. When I select the "Start" button it flashes red 3 times and then nothing. The "Drain/Cancel"...

Self-worth - what do you do to take care of your self-worth? [ 21 Answers ]

I think we are all so great to take care of others, however how can we learn to take care of ourselves more? What things can one do to take care of their own self-worth, self-respect, etc.

Only in America [ 5 Answers ]

Only in America 1. Only in America... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance. 2. Only in America... are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink. 3. Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their...

View more questions Search