Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmscianna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Co-worker saying I take drugs, when it was prescribed medication
    I had a co-worker get angry at me recently for going to another co-worker for a second opinion on what we call CAREER LADDER. I am a teacher and she is new this year to the district and school, whereas, I have been at the school for over a year and in the district for almost 2 years. She was telling me things that I needed to do with my documents that I did not agree with, so I went to a woman I worked with the previous year about it. She said I questioned her competency and that I made her look bad.

She then proceeded to take every lunch conversation and twist them around. One being, that I was on drugs at school. Almost two weeks ago, I was in the hospital for a possible ulcer and the stomach pain was so intense. They gave me Vicodin as a prescription along with Nexium which takes a few days to start working effectively or so I was told and experienced. I started on the medication at home with one dose, but the next day, Weds. I had to be back at work. I asked our school nurse if it was legal for me to take the medication and she said as long as it was prescribed, but suggested I take half until I know how well I function with it.

I took half that day and I had eaten lunch with the same teachers every day. One of them, said how bad her students were acting and how they were driving her crazy and I said, I don't think anything could bother me right now. Yes, I felt better after the vicodin, but to go to my principal and asst. principal and tell them I was bragging about how high I was on the drugs was uncalled for! She brought it up again yesterday, during a mediation, and I said to her if she keeps making these ridiculous statements about me being on drugs that I will sue her for slander; she burst out with, "If the administration doesn't do something about me and my drug use then, she will go to the district."

First of all, I had only a limited prescription and only took the medication the next three days after I was out of the hospital. I have not taken any Vicodin at school since then. She is making more outrageous statements like I come in hung over all the time, which isn't true and I cannot figure out why she is doing this! She is a part of my 6th grade team of teachers, so avoiding her is very difficult! I started crying in front of the principal and asst. principal after she left and they said I need to stop asking why she is doing this and just move on, but how can I when I am expected to work with this woman? I am a part of an association with legal benefits, but will going after her make my job more difficult? What are my options?

Sincerely,

CS:confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Wow, this is certainly a tough situation for you. HOWEVER, you have the fact that you have been there longer and the staff knows you better. She is making a fool of herself and I am sure it is obvious to everyone around her that she is obviously a troublemaker.

I would let her dig her own grave by just being polite and letting her make her rude remarks. If she sees it gets to you she will continue. You see, it seems like she is trying to break you and so far it's working. Be the better person and ignore her remarks. Or better yet, ask her to prove her accusations.

I would, however, make a diary of all that she says, when she says it, and what the circumstances are.

You have already talked to the Principal and the Asst Principal, what did they say? What were their recommendations?

If she continues to make "suggestions" to you about what to do with your documents and such, just politely tell her thank you and you will take her suggestions under advisement. Doesn't mean you have to do anything about it, you don't even really have to listen. You are just killing her with kindness that way. Kindness can actually be more beneficial to you than threats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Co-worker a rat? [ 29 Answers ]

For his own sake, I won't say his name, but he is a retired corrections officer, now working as a security officer with me. No, I'm not his boss, I'm just someone who works with him, he and I are more or less at the same level in terms of "authority" on the job. Any way, one day, I went on the...

Annoying co-worker [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, this is kind of a detailed question, so bare with me please! I work in a Gastroenterology Clinic with 14 Dr.'s and over 100 employees, and of all of us there is only 15 men that work there, and 14 are the Dr's and the other is the I.T. guy. The rest of us are women, and nothing against...

Worker comp. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell if you go back to work on restrictions from a injury at work and at the time you come back your making the same pay per hour that you left at,but one year down the road your union votes to have your wages cut by 25% from 20.00 dollars to 15.00 dollars ,if you are still on work...

In Love with My Co-Worker [ 9 Answers ]

I came across this website looking for some sort of an answer to my problem. I feel its kind of sad not having anyone else in my life to turn to with this, and having to go to the internet and ask complete strangers to tell me what to do. I have friends, but they are idiots and have an emotional...

Any worker rights? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend works for a small company that recently changed their pay scale. They are paid by the hour but will only get paid for what's billable, not for the amount of hours they are actually at the job. That also includes not getting paid for company meetings or waiting around for their...

View more questions Search