Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2005, 10:51 AM
    Need recommendations for Project Management software
    I have used MS Project in the past but it's overkill for what we want to do (plus the users would balk at using it). We really are interested in developing a Gantt chart and critical path. We are not tracking resources or inventory, simply the schedule. Basically I'm looking for an MS Project Lite. Any recommendations?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I have used MS Project in the past but it's overkill for what we want to do (plus the users would balk at using it). We really are interested in developing a Gantt chart and critical path. We are not tracking resources or inventory, simply the schedule. Basically I'm looking for an MS Project Lite. Any recommendations?
    Try this, It looks pretty good:

http://www.smartdraw.com/specials/pr...rt.asp?id=5241

And there's a free trial
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2005, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Try this, It looks pretty good:

http://www.smartdraw.com/specials/pr...rt.asp?id=5241

and there's a free trial
    Thanks Scott, I'll check out the trial.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Project Management
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a link:

http://www.ittoolkit.com/drp_kit.htm

It also has a 30 free trial.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a link:

http://www.ittoolkit.com/drp_kit.htm

It also has a 30 free trial.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    That link takes me to The Disaster Recovery Plan Process Kit, is that the right link?

Oct 18, 2005, 06:21 AM
    That link takes me to The Disaster Recovery Plan Process Kit, is that the right link?
    Need,

That's where it took me too. Haven't a clue why Fred thought it would serve your needs. If you go to their home page, there is stuff about Project Management, but its specifically geared towards IT projects. Doesn't say if they do Gantt charts though, (I wonder if Fred even knows what a Gantt chart is?).

On the other hand, I found the link interesting and will be forwarding it to our Business Continuity Planning people. So one of Fred's apparent mistakes turned out OK. ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2005, 07:33 AM
    Need,

That's where it took me too. Haven't a clue why Fred thought it would serve your needs. If you go to their home page, there is stuff about Project Management, but its specifically geared towards IT projects. Doesn't say if they do Gantt charts though, (I wonder if Fred even knows what a Gantt chart is?).

On the other hand, I found the link interesting and will be forwarding it to our Business Continuity Planning people. So one of Fred's apparent mistakes turned out OK. ;)
    Yes, I know what Gantt charts are... another of your assumptions?
    This was a mistake? I do wish there were a way for you to stop public ridicule. I will pray for you, and hope you can come to some understanding about others and try helping more, needlessly criticizing less.
    My statement was that I didn't know if this would help... read it?
    I am glad some think enough of it to check it out... and I am sure you checked it out, with other motives in mind.

Oct 18, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Yes, I know what Gantt charts are......another of your assumptions?
    What I said was "I wonder if Fred even knows what a Gantt chart is?" How is that an assumption? Need asked for a tool that makes Gantt charts and you give him a link to one that doesn't appear to. So I think its reasonable to wonder.

This was a mistake? I do wish there were a way for you to stop public ridicule. I will pray for you, and hope you can come to some understanding about others and try helping more, needlessly criticizing less.
    My statement was that I didn't know if this would help.....read it?
    I am glad some think enough of it to check it out...and I am sure you checked it out, with other motives in mind.
    My criticisms are rarely if ever needless. That's something you have always failed to understand. I help a lot more than I criticize, but criticism is also a form of helping. I checked out the site because normally you do a good job of researching and finding such things. But now who is talking about assumptions?

Fred, there IS a way to stop what you refer to as public ridicule. I've told you how many times in the past. It's a four fold process.

1) Be more careful about reading questions and your answers to them. If you do, there will be less to criticize.
    2) Admit when you are caught in making a mistake, apologize for it and thank the person making the correction.
    3) Stop trying to build yourself up by answering questions that have already been adequately answered.
    4) Stop harassing me with your lies, personal insults etc.

If you agree to each of these points then I will give you a chance. I will not hold you up to the ridicule you have earned by your own actions. If I do find a mistake you have made, I will correct it in a civil and polite manner (as I would expect from anyone fining a mistake I make). If you respond with agreement to these points I will give you some time to show you are adhering to them.

I don't think any of those points are unreasonable. They are prinicples I have used for years and years when helping on these sites. I don't ask you to do anything I'm not doing myself. So the ball's in your court, Fred. Frankly, I doubt if you will go along, that would be admitting you have been wrong all these years. But I truly hope you decide to. I have said many times I would like nothing better than for this feud to end. But only you can end it Fred. As long as you continue to do things that merit cricitism and as long as you continue to harass me with lies and insults as you have been doing for years. Then I will continue to hold you up to the ridicule you deserve. You signed off with a very nice quote, I wish you truly believed it and followed it.

Scott<>

Addendum1: Well Fred? Are you going to respond to this or take your usual cowardly way out and hope it dies away?
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Fred's link was indeed fruitless.

However in my searches I did find this: http://ganttproject.sourceforge.net/index.php
    Need to have Java installed but that's not a problem.

I'm beginning to enjoy the benefits of the open source software as this one costs 0$.

Oct 18, 2005, 05:09 PM
    Fred's link was indeed fruitless.

However in my searches I did find this: http://ganttproject.sourceforge.net/index.php
    Need to have Java installed but that's not a problem.

I'm beginning to enjoy the benefits of the open source software as this one costs 0$.
    Hi Need,
    That definitely looks good. Let us know how it works out.

Opensource can be great. Have you ever tried Open Office?

Scott<>
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 19, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Have you ever tried Open Office?
    I've tried it. I used Excel a lot, and I hated the way it used to forget column width I set. I had problems with print preview... it would only work on first sheet in the document.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 03:18 AM
    Is Project Management software the same thing as "CMS" (Content Management system)?

Oct 20, 2005, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Is Project Management software the same thing as "CMS" (Content Management system)?
    Don't think so. Content Management usually refers to WEB sites and is used to manage what's on the sites. Project Management refers to managing time and resources during a project.

A Gantt chart is used to graphical show the phases and dependcies of a project.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Not really. I use a CMS also to manage the ressources of our provincial tourism web site. A CMS gives you a staging area to build and test pages, a resource gallery where shared templates and images are stored, you can set it up so that changes to content require approval. etc. It's pretty cool and works great for large sites with lots of content.

Project management software deals mainly with scheduling, tasks, resources attached to the tasks, some include inventory and communication features for the project team members..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any recommendations for anxiety/depression? [ 18 Answers ]

I'd like to find some recommendations for anxiety, depression and sleeplessness. I have a close friend who is currently suffering from this and would like to get off conventional meds. Any info would help... Thanks.

Management [ 4 Answers ]

Distinguish between the words administration and management ?

Management [ 10 Answers ]

Can you list any five most common/popular questions from management as a subject?

I need insect referances... Any recommendations?! [ 1 Answers ]

At work last night, my co-worker and I noticed a very large and intersting insect. It was well out of reach, prehaps 14-17' above our heads, but in a lighted area. It was resting, like it was diurnal (is that a word... like it was a day creature). It seemed sluggish and unresponsive to...

View more questions Search