Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:12 PM
    How can they get away with it
    I quit using banks along time ago because if you bounced a check by .02 cents and they take out the $30.00 fee and you don't know and you deposit $50.00 write out a check for $35.00 thinking you have more than enough to cover it not realizing they took out the fee.
    They use to only charge you for one bounce if you pointed out the chain reaction.
    Now they say you should keep a spare $100.00 in the account so that doesn't happen (like you can afford it). They also say they give you plenty of notice even though the notices all come at once a week too late.
    In July my son used his debit card for $14.20 and then at McD's for $7.60 which
    Took him over his balance by about $9.00. They charged him $34.00 four times for the overdraft and so much a day for him not depositing the difference but by the time he was notified the fees were a little over $200.00 and it was the middle of the month so we had no money to take care of it so they continued to charge the $10.00 a day until the next month when he got his check and they automatically took out their $400.00 which we knew they would. My son closed his account and we are still behind.
    Anyway, all I wanted to say in my rant is that I think it is not right that poor people are at a disadvantage if they make a mistake in their money. Why isn't it illegal for a bank to take out $400.00 for a less than $20.00 dollar mistake.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I know what your saying. It is almost better not to have a bank account at all and keep all your money on hand and in hiding somewhere. Big business and banks are brutal for charges. It is not right or fair especially considering their all in billions and billions of surplus each year off the backs of honest people.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Which bank were you dealing with? Have you looked into a credit union ? Banks just love to make money! Lol
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Oct 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I work at a bank and totally understand where you are coming from, being a chronic-overdrafter myself. =)
    The bank I work for doesn't charge per day, and will 'only' charge 4 service fees in one day (for a total of $132 max in fees daily). The overdraft has to be $1.00 or more for fees to be incurred... but I've still had situations where my account was overdrawn by under $10 (from buying coffee in their cafeteria!), and because they were all separate transactions that posted on separate days, my account was overdrawn by over $250.
    Getting them to waive fees is harder for employees than for other customers- because you should 'know better' (and my counter to that is they should PAY better!)
    To an extent, I understand that the bank needs to make money. It's a business, it's what they do. But they're reaching into the wrong people's pockets.
    If a regular customer overdraws their account,they're allowed a once-per-year courtesy fee reversal. Aside from that, you need to fight tooth and nail to get further reimbursement, and usually it doesn't work.
    But if you're a 'premier' (aka rich) customer, they just want to keep you happy. You can afford to pay the fees- but feel you shouldn't have to because you're rich- so, to keep your money, the bank does whatever you want them to so that you don't leave and bank somewhere else.
    Seems a little unfair, doesn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search