Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2005, 10:01 AM
    Corner Kitchen Sink installation
    Hi! I'm back after months of making slow progress on my kitchen remodel.

I'm nearly ready to install the sink, and have run into a problem that I COULD have forseen if I was any good at "planning"! :)

While shopping for a sink, I found this very neat design that fits in the corner: a large left sink, small center sink, and a drain board on the right side. See it at this link below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Problem is, before I knew such a thing existed, I had assumed the sink would be centered under my window. Now, this new corner sink will be about 22" to the right of that. Is this too far to horizontally extend the drain?

The other problem is, how do I connect the dishwasher? It'll be installed in the planned location, which is now about 50" left of the sink's location. I think it's too far to connect the D/W in the normal way (to the disposal), so can I connect it directly to the horizontal extension I will install? Should that line have its own vent or anything?

Just wondering what a pro would do with this situation.

Note: I can't really relocate the drain in the wall. Below the corner location, in the basement, is the main electrical box. It'd be pretty tough to get pipes in that spot. There's also electrical in the walls in the corner.

Besides, I figured it'd be good to leave it where it is, in case the next owners (or myself) decide some time in the future that a normal sink would be better.

As always I really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm attaching a link to the photo of the wall in question.

Thanks again!

- james

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2005, 03:45 PM
    Hi James, Welcome back.

I guess the inspector passed the two AAV valves in the basement, huh?
    What bothers me is the 90 degree elbo you're going to have to put on the wall stubout to get over to the new sink posistion. This elbo in addition to the elbo in the wall creates a "dogleg" that's just asking for a clog, especially if you plan on a disposal. How far will the 2" drain line run from the trap to the vent stack? If it's around 5' your OK. What I would do is in place of the 90 degree elbo to get you over to the new posistion would be to install a drainage tee or 2" combo with a 2" clean out plug looking out into the cabinet.
    That saves you from removing the trap if you have to snake the drain.
    As for the diswasher. I would raise the drainage hose as high as I could in the cabinet and use pipe straps to secure it. You may then discharge it into the disposal or a branch tailpiece. Why make yourself more work?
    Regards, Tom
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2005, 08:25 AM
    Diagram
    Hiya Tom, and thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of having a cleanout in easy reach in case I need to snake that dogleg. I've drawn up a little diagram that I'd appreciate you having a glance at, to make sure I have the idea straight.

Note: the drain stubout has its own roof vent. From where you see it, it travels horizontally about 3 feet under the window, then vertically through the roof. I hope this is adequate.

Now the dishwasher connection... can you give me more detail on that please? Is there some special fitting I can find?

I'd "like" to say that I'm surprised I'm in a predicament with this installation... but alas, I'd be MORE surprised if it went smoothly! There always seems to be something I didn't think of! Such is the joy of home-ownership, right?

You mentioned the AAVs in the basement... I was able to reconfigure and just have one AAV for the basement toilet, and the rest of the group vented through the roof via a 1 1/2" pipe (too small for toilet vent, they say).

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Hey James,

You have just opened up a direct connection with no interuption to your sewer through the dishwasher in your diagram. You have two options.
    (1) You can connect to the inlet of the disposal--or--
    (2) You may install a branch tail piece in place of the regular tail piece off the sink drain and connect to that.
    But no matter what you decide you MUST discharge the dishwasher upstream from the sink trap. Outside of that and with the exception of the "dogleg" it looks OK to me. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1400 Sq Ft. House, on a Slab. Built in the late 1950's. We just recently had a problem occur on Dec. 22nd, my wife called me at work and said the main bathroom toilet just flooded from underneath the stool. She was just in there cleaning the bathroom. Then went and started a load of...

Help please Kitchen sink plugged! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my kitchen sink has been plugged for almost 1 week and I am tired of doing sidhes in the sink. After my mom passed away I have been busy with school and work and never had time to actually figure this problem out. So here is the deal. I have a double sink, I purchased the 1sec plumber and...

New shower sink and toilet installation [ 1 Answers ]

I need to install a new bathroom for my elderly mother. I have 2 possible locations in mind one is at the back of the house which would place ths bathroom very close to the original bath the other would be in the front of the house approx 25 ft away from existing. Will I need to install a new vent...

Kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I need "backflow" protectors ?

View more questions Search