Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pierceaholic Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Can u notice a tongue piercing when you talk
    K so I'm going to be getting my tongue pierced soon. I wanted to know if u can notice it when u tlk?? Cause at my school you isn't allowed to have any facial or oral piercings.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:14 PM
    You will definitely be able to notice it when you talk, especially the first few days. Your tongue is going to be swollen and there will be a noticeable impairment in your speech. You will more than likely develop a lisp (most people do) because your tongue is trying to adjust to having a barbell through it. I got the lisp but it went away eventually.

As far as it being seen, if you are wearing flashy jewelry it is easier for it to be seen than if you wear a clear plastic barbell. No matter what jewelry you wear, you have to wear the barbell that it was pierced with for at least 6 weeks, and its long and shiny so its likely that at least one time you'll open your mouth just a little too much when you talk and someone will see it.

Oct 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Okay... but if I don't open my mouth too much or just talk normally would the principal or the teacher notice it? Cause I'm int eh office a lot and I'm always getting in by him so when I talk I don't want him to notice it
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:25 PM
    There really is no way you can talk normally, especially when its swollen. You can try and fake it but it doesn't work, trust me. I tried faking it and people noticed my tongue ring right away.

Can I make a suggestion? If your mom is allowing you to get it pierced, get it pierced over the summer to allow it to heal and allow your tongue to adjust to it. Then when you are in school, you can wear a clear spacer. A spacer for your tongue will look like this, but it will be straight rather than curved (the pic below is for eyebrow, but it will look the same just without the curve.)

Name:  retainer.jpg
Views: 7065
Size:  8.0 KB

When you aren't in school, then you can change it back to regular jewelry as you like.

Oct 6, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Cool. Im supposed to get it for christmas. Will I b able to change it after two weeks. I'm getting it done at The Ink Spot on Gladstone they said they can put a clear ball on the top is that a good idea will it be harder to notice besides the talking>?
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:35 PM
    You can't change it until 6 weeks has passed. You need to give the piercing a chance to become stable enough to change the jewelry. Changing it too early can result in irritation and/or infection.

I can still see the clear balls on people's jewelry, so it may work, it may not work. Just keep in mind that the most important thing is that you do not get in trouble at school. The piercing is not worth it. I think personally it would be better for you to wait, but if you don't wait just make sure you do not get in trouble.

Oct 6, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Ok cool thanks. And when I had my snake bites I had one where it was like white on the inside of the mouth and it hurt. Why is that. I had to take it out. And will I die if I pierced my tongue myselfe?>
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
    I can always tell if someone has a tongue pierced. I can see the silver stud as the person's mouth opens and the tongue moves back and forth during speaking and I can hear the stud click against teeth.

There's no secret if a tongue is pierced.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
    What do you mean white? You had white stuff coming out of the piercing? Or did you have something that looked like a blister?

Oct 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
    I had sumn that lookes like a blister
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Okay, that was more than likely scarring. Did you play with it a lot? Overclean it? Anything like that?
    DENA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pierceaholic
    K so i'm gonna be getting my tongue pierced soon. I wanted to know if u can notice it when u tlk??? cause at my school you aint allowed to have any facial or oral piercings.
    Yes you can notice it, you can see it and a person talks differently, my daughter has her's peirced, you also have to very careful of infection, she had to go to the hospital a couple times, once cause it turned black and another because of swelling and infection... very noticeable
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DENA
    yes you can notice it, you can see it and a person talks differently, my daughter has her's peirced, you also have to very careful of infection, she had to go to the hospital a couple times, once cause it turned black and another because of swelling and infection...... very noticable
    Eek! I hope she's OK! :eek:

Oct 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Ye I played with it a lot. And ye I proabbly over cleaned it lol.. And I hope your daughter was OK.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Ye i played with it alot. And ye i proabbly over cleaned it lol.. And i hope your daughter was ok.
    That's what you really have to be careful of. The same goes with your tongue piercing, if you play with it a lot, bite on it, suck on it, etc. things can and usually do go wrong. People always feel like they have to play with a piercing, when its really meant to just be left alone. It is an "ornament" for your body, I guess you could say, for looks. Its not meant to be a toy for you to play with all the time (not you, just people in general).

Oct 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
    O okay... okay so I get this tongue piercing right... is there ways to prevent fomr the teachers seeing it..
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:04 PM
    O okay... okay so i get this tongue piercing right...is there ways to prevent fomr the teachers seeing it..?
    No, not as long as you have jewelry in it.

Oct 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Damnit... I guess imma have to wait till it heals and get the retainer for it
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
    That would be your best bet, but remember it takes 6 weeks to heal and you have to have jewelry in it at all times during that 6 weeks.

Oct 6, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Yep...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: Ok, so I have been trying to convince my mom that I should get a Tongue Ring, and i don't know how to convince her. If any one has any ideas, please let me know! ~Thanks:confused:

Tongue piercing twice [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have my tongue pierced once And am thinking about getting it done again But am unsure as it might affect the way I give blowjobs Can anyone help or give any advice on this Thanks Xxx

Tongue piercing [ 11 Answers ]

How do I conniving my parents to let me have a tongue piercing?

Tongue Piercing [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I want to ask if the tongue piercing causes cancer!

Tongue piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get my tongue pierced and was wondering if there is any thing that I need to do to prepare for it, and can they deny you a piercing if your tongue is too short?:o

View more questions Search