Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 08:41 AM
    The greatest words ever spoken about politics
    What do you feel is the greatest thing ever said? It doesn't matter if it is a poem, a quote, or whatever. Just post it and then say why it means so much to you.
    Buck It Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Oct 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
    If your young and not liberal you have no heart. If your old and a liberal you have no brain.

Winston Churchill
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Carl Sandberg
    "A politician should have three hats. One for throwing into the ring, one for talking through, and one for pulling rabbits out of if elected."

I am not much into politics,but when you asked this question, I searched and found the above quote fits most politicians.

The one below fit my personal thoughts on it...

Confucius:

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Carl Sandberg
    "A politician should have three hats. One for throwing into the ring, one for talking through, and one for pulling rabbits out of if elected."

I am not much into politics,but when you asked this question, I searched and found the above quote fits most politicians.

The one below fit my personal thoughts on it...

Confucius:

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."
    Strange in a way that the one from Confucius holds true today, I think it a tragedy that there has been such a loss of community... it's the 'liberal capitalist' at work.:rolleyes:
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Consensus is the absence of leadership... Margaret Thatcher
    Trust but verify... Ronald Reagan
    I did not have sex with that women... Bill Clinton
    renegadofunk93 Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country. JFK
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    Consensus is the absence of leadership.... Margaret Thatcher
    Trust but verify...Ronald Reagan
    I did not have sex with that women...Bill Clinton
    Great one…I remember the speculation in the News after the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings about President Clinton's retaliation, on the very day he was to face questioning about Lewinsky, was used to distract attention from his trial.:p
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:01 PM
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

A leader who doesn't hesitate before he sends his nation into battle is not fit to be a leader. Golda Meir

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. Theodore Roosevelt
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Oct 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
    The government of my country snubs honest simplicity, but fondles artistic villainy, and I think I might have developed into a very capable pickpocket if I had remained in the public service a year or two.
    - Roughing It - Mark Twain

This is far from being a "Great" quote, but pretty much sums up my feelings about the vast majority of politicians, and the system that nurtures them.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
    "Madness is rare in individals-but in groups, poliltical parties, nations and eras it's the rule."

Who else but the words of my favorite genius, Nietzsche.
    (I'm not saying I agree with all of Nietzsche's thoughts)
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
    "A little rebellion now and then... is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.” Thomas Jefferson
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:34 PM
    "He is the greatest job and investment destroyer since the bubonic plague."

Leader of the opposition to the Prime Minister John Howard.

Paul Keating was the Prime Minister of Australia at one point in time. His insults are legendary. He was a clever politician but with a very sharp tongue. Worth a read for the laugh!

Paul Keating Insults Archive
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 04:47 AM
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
    Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
    Declaration of Independence

Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. Alexander Hamilton

It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.
    Alexis De Tocquiville

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. Ronald Reagan

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
    Ronald Reagan

Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." —Groucho Marx

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes." -Ronald Reagan

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the
    politicians as a joke." —Will Rogers

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"My job is a decision-making job. And as a result, I make a lot of decisions." -George W. Bush

"I have a wide stance." -Sen. Larry Craig

"In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country." -Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

"Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from birth what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government to do good." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station, it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official act my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that His benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the people of the United States a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes, and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success the functions allotted to his charge. In tendering this homage to the Great Author of every public and private good, I assure myself that it expresses your sentiments not less than my own, nor those of my fellow-citizens at large less than either. No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than those of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency; and in the important revolution just accomplished in the system of their united government the tranquil deliberations and voluntary consent of so many distinct communities from which the event has resulted can not be compared with the means by which most governments have been established without some return of pious gratitude, along with an humble anticipation of the future blessings which the past seem to presage. These reflections, arising out of the present crisis, have forced themselves too strongly on my mind to be suppressed. You will join with me, I trust, in thinking that there are none under the influence of which the proceedings of a new and free government can more auspiciously commence." -George Washington in his first inaugural address.

If only our elected leaders felt the same...
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
    OK…time for my favorite quote from guess who…hint…it's a republican

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity."

Awesome!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 03:14 AM
    Your favorite quote is from a flame throwing conservative commentator ,who's comments more often than not are tongue in cheek caricatures ?
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    your favorite quote is from a flame throwing conservative commentator ,who's comments more often than not are tongue in cheek caricatures ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrow
    OK…time for my favorite quote from guess who…hint…it's a republican

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity."

Awesome!!!
    I know, and she just drives some Democrats into a frenzy
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 9, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Most of my favoite "political" quotes are actually MILITARY quotes. But here are a few political and military quotes.

"War is the continuation of diplomacy by non-diplomatic means."
    -Von Clausewicz, On War

"The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility."
    - Admiral Sir John A. Fisher

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Government cannot make man richer, but it can make him poorer."
    - Ludwig Von Mises

"Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something...
    Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?"
    - Robert A. Heinlein, in Time Enough for Love

"An Ambassadore is a man of virtue sent to lie abroad for his country, a news writer is a man of no virtue who lies at home for himself."
    - Sir Henry Wotton

"An important difference between a military operation and a surgical operation is that the patient is not tied down. But it is a common fault of generalship to assume that he is."
    - Captain Sir Basil H. Liddell Hart

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
    - Plutarch

"Laws are silent in time of war."
    - Cicero

"War does not determine who is right, but who is left."
    - old military proverb

"It doesn't require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires to people's minds."
    - Samuel Adams
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
    There are 5 ways to complete a task
    1. The easy way
    2. The fast way
    3. The cheapest way
    4. The right way
    5. If none of the above categories fit it's the governments way
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
    “In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.” Tao Te Ching quote

“The superior man puts justice first. If the superior man is brave without justice, he will be rebellious. If the inferior man is brave without justice, he will become an outlaw.” Confucius quote

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Spoken English [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing third year engineering from pune. I am very good in my academic studies,but I am facing problem in spoken english. I need to work on my pronounsations also. So kindly help me for improving my spoken english so that I can speak as fluently as my mothertounge.

Lennox Lewis-The True Greatest [ 9 Answers ]

While many people consider Muhammad Ali as 'The Greatest', I think the time has come to bestow this title upon Lennox Lewis. There can be no doubt that Ali was a supreme fighter, one of the best, but with all the sentiment and nostalgia which surrounds this great man, was he truly the best there...

DBZ Budokai 3 Greatest Hits: Passwords [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the passwords to unlock the alternate costumes for Goku, Trunks, and Piccolo in DBZ Budokai 3 Greatest Hits. I couldn't locate them on gamefaq.com or using internet searches.

T2 Greatest Movie Ever! [ 2 Answers ]

I know I might be a little behind the times, but I just saw T2 in it's entirity today, and the movie is GREAT! By far one of the best action movies off all freaking time! I have seen bits and pieces before, but like I said I just saw it today as a whole and WOW. It's the ****. The music, the...

Spoken English [ 4 Answers ]

Please tell me what the following mean grammatically (1)he should have been going. (2)he can have done.

View more questions Search