Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    packer2007 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Do the right thing or not?
    I left or detached myself from a man I had been seeing for 6 months. He is an alcoholic,womanizer(goes on and on about women when we are out and about, stares at them and talks about his ex and still talks to her),only cares about his needs and not mine and said he only considered us buddies not dating and he was not ready for a relationship. (we both are 48, divorced, he was in AA now drinking again, lives in his parents condo, which is filthy all the time) I loved and cared for him dearly.So I decided I could not be friends with him. I feel guilty leaving him and now I have no one. Did I do the right thing in not continuing our friendship even though he needs me in some ways?
    xmarksthespotx Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
    In a word -- yes.

My ex-boyfriend is someone that I cared about very, very much. The truth was, though, that he wasn't a good person (or, at least, wasn't a very healthy one). I wanted to stay friends with him even after the breakup and "be there for him", but I would have been disrespecting myself by doing that.

Don't feel guilty - you would have been doing yourself a great injustice by still communicating with someone that was so disrespectful towards you.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Definitely you did the right thing! The only way that this man would 'need' you would be to enable him. The best thing you could do for both him and yourself, was exactly what you did. The more people that distance themselves from inappropriate behaviour, the sooner the person gets help. A complete break up is necessary.

It bothers me that you feel so little love for yourself that you would put this mans perceived needs before your own. You cannot experience real love until you love and respect yourself.

Hugs, Didi
    angelic_voice Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Oct 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by packer2007
    I left or detached myself from a man I had been seeing for 6 months. He is an alcoholic,womanizer(goes on and on about women when we are out and about, stares at them and talks about his ex and still talks to her),only cares about his needs and not mine and said he only considered us buddies not dating and he was not ready for a relationship. (we both are 48, divorced, he was in AA now drinking again, lives in his parents condo, which is filthy all the time) I loved and cared for him dearly.So I decided I could not be friends with him. I feel guilty leaving him and now I have no one. Did I do the right thing in not continuing our friendship even though he needs me in some ways?
    You made the right decision, and although you don't have anyone right now, doesn't mean you won't have someone later. And that isn't the type of person you need to be with anyway. You need to be with someone who will love you for you, and do little things, like tell you your beautiful when you had a bad day. Its not always about having someone by our side, its about being happy, and sometimes were happier without someone there. And not being his friend or whatever he called it, was the best thing to do, because a lot of times when were around people with certain habits, we may tend to pick up on them ourselves. Here's a quote that I live by, we go through things that at the time may weaken us, but in the end, they make us realize how strong we really are, keep your head up and love yourself, it will all work out~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I do the right thing? [ 4 Answers ]

For 2 years now I have been dating(on and off) this guy I feel madly in love with, the first time we met. He had issues in the begginning with getting over his first love, and concentrating on our relationship. A year after being together, we broke up due to his drug use with cocaine, and him...

Is there such a thing? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a reliable lawn tractor , not garden tractor,under $1000?? Any comments are welcome

What Is This Thing? [ 3 Answers ]

Terresa Marie, my friend, felt something sticking her in the back. When I unsipped the dresss this is what I found. She has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and is deathly afraid of them. I attempted to identify the bug on the internet but no joy. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, ...

Looking to do the right thing. [ 9 Answers ]

I live with 5 other girls in a house. We all share rent and utilities. Our toilet got plugged and it may have been from a tampax. Two of us admitted we'd flushed tampax down the toilet in the past because we didn't know we weren't supposed to. The plumbing bill came to $120 and the other girls...

View more questions Search