Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antonete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter
    I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The furnace will be on at 55 degrees to ensure that pipes will not freeze. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by antonete
    I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The furnace will be on at 55 degrees to ensure that pipes will not freeze. Thanks
    If you're going to heat your home during the winter months then you should be OK, however, if you didn't choose to run the furnace I would recommend draining and blowing out the water lines, filling all the traps with motor oil or anti-freeze and pouring a gallon of anti-freeze into each toilet until it flushed away the water and retained the anti-freeze in the trap.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

When I turn on the cold water, it doesn't work. But hot does!- Whole house [ 1 Answers ]

This morning when I went to turn on the cold water, it doesn't work but when I turn the hot on it does. It's the same in the entire house, including the hose bibs, with the exception of my daughters bathroom sink. We've since turned off the water to the house. Is this a burst pipe?

Replced Hot Water Heater - Low pressure in some places in house [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed out my hot water heater yesterday and have low pressure (hot and cold) in one bathroom and an outside outlet. The bathroom had low pressure in comparison with the other bathroom for quite some time but now can hardly fill the pipes for a shower. The outside has never had any issues....

View more questions Search