Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c_d_raval Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 10:27 PM
    What is protocol
    Hi!

I have seen the terms like hyper text transfer protocol, tpc/ip protocol etc. Please tell me what this protocols are?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Everything is under the RFC pages here:
    IETF Home Page

You picked a topic that has too large of a scope. A protocol is essentially a language definition.

Have fun reading.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2007, 06:23 AM
    A protocol is a set of rules used in communicating and interaction. Its not just a computer term.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 07:30 AM
    True. In business, you might here terms like "He didn't follow the proper protocol." An example is if someone did not call in sick. "Calling a particular person when you are suddenly sick is a protocol.".

Let me answer you specific questions somewhat. Hypertest Transfer Protocol or a URL beginning with http:// is basically the rules that determine how web pages are rendered and responded to by servers and clients.

TCP/IP is Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. It's the basic message delivery and routing instructions of the internet. It really does not have any content. Http is delivered using TCP/IP. TCP/IP says that messages can get delivered using different routes and assembled at their destination. There is another delivery protocol of the internet and that is the User Datagram protocol. This is best used for streaming where the route is know. The ends are responsible for their own encoding/decoding and messages are not standard. An example might be how a virtual com port is the messages used to implement a virtual com port over the ethernet or how communication with a print server might be implemented.

The standard internet protocals are implemented by talking to a specific port. The standard http port is port 80.

I hope this helps more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me---ora12560 tns protocol error [ 5 Answers ]

Hi every one am facing some problem regarding oracle 9i I have installed it on my PC with os xp and whenever I log in with 'scott" and "tiger" I get the error ora-12560 tns protocol error can some one please help me regarding this. Also I have tried editing tnsname.ora but I could hardly...

Installation - Oracle 10 / SqlPlusW TNS PROTOCOL ERROR [ 1 Answers ]

My Oracle 10 installation worked well enough to get a SQL prompt and make some tables. I tried some utilities like Quest Toad. Then, I couldn't get into SQLPlusW, or at least the login info didn't work. After many attempts at reinstalling from CD and from CD files copied to my hard disk, then...

Protocol for the National Anthem [ 2 Answers ]

Is it proper for the National Anthem to be shortened, or stopped abruptly, as an introduction to the Pledge of Allegiance?

TCP UDP protocol [ 3 Answers ]

What is the different between the two above protocol and when and in what (standard) we base to assign the port

View more questions Search