Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laris79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Kitchen sink drain
    Maybe someone can help me figure out a new way to drain the kitchen sink.
    I have installed a new kitchen sink along with a garbage disposal. I am having problems with the drainage system. The drain is horizontal and is at a higher level than the discharge drain to the garbage disposal. Basically it is like I am draining up hill. Any ideas?? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Hi Laris,

You must have a older house where we roughed in kitchen sinks, (that's before dispoasals) at 21" off the floor. We rough them in at 18" at the present time. You're not going to like what comes next. Since the replacement sink might have deeper tubs and the disposal drops it even farther you are faced with two options. You either remove the disposal and hope you have enough elevation to drain the sink or you open up the wall all the way over to the sanitary tee and lower the tee and the arm/stubout all the way from the stack. Door number one loses you the disposal and door number two is major surgery. Not a great choice in anybodys book but you just found out what every plumber knows.
    Drainage will not flow uphill, you got to have fall for it to work.
    Sorry I couldn't be more upbeat but it could be worse. After removing the disposal you could find out the sink tubs are still too deep to drain through the trap and stubout properly. Good luck and if we can help feel free to call on us. Tom
    laris79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 03:38 PM
    What about a different disposal with a high discharge port.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2005, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laris79
    what about a different disposal with a high discharge port.
    That will work if the back fall isn't too great. Because the sink tub drains higher then the trap you could possibly get by with zero fall. But if you have back fall it ain't going to work. Cheers, Tom
    procon4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 09:13 PM
    How about adding a sink pump to get it uphill?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 30, 2013, 06:44 AM
    Smarter to just open the wall and cut in a new, lower connection than to rely on a pump that costs quite a bit of money and needs repair/replacement every few years or so... ;)

Never mind that this "problem" was posted from back in 2005!

Mark
    procon4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
    I know it was an old post, but I found it on Google, so it's still alive. I have the same issue as the OP, so figured I'd test the waters with a response.

I've opened up my drywall, and found a hard cement material behind it. It's very smooth and appears to be the old interior wall surface. It's laid on top of a rougher material, almost like cinder blocks.

To lay the original horizontal drain pipe, they chiseled out some of this material, so I'm going to have to do the same at the lower level for the new connection.

Any thoughts about that?

Pics in a Google Doc here: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1400 Sq Ft. House, on a Slab. Built in the late 1950's. We just recently had a problem occur on Dec. 22nd, my wife called me at work and said the main bathroom toilet just flooded from underneath the stool. She was just in there cleaning the bathroom. Then went and started a load of...

Kitchen sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I dropped my earring down the kitchen sink. Anyway, I proceeded to take the drain pipes apart to find it. My earring was long gone. I put the pipes back together, and now the water won't go down. It takes about a 1/2 hour to drain. Can you help?

Kitchen sink still won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

After buying an old house, the kitchen sink didn't drain well, and since it wasn't hooked up to any "stink pipes" I added a Nonavent downstream of the trap, which draws air from above the trap. This worked great, but, after several months the good drainage ceased, and has become even worse than...

Kitchen sink won't drain [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 70 year old house in the country. The kitchen sink often runs slow, especially after a rain. I have tried drain opener, plunging and running a hose down the pipe. The only thing that works is spraying the hose down the drain when the sink is full. When I do that it will drain, but...

View more questions Search