Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2004, 12:03 AM
    Index.dat folders
    Can anyone tell me what I lose by cleaning out the index.dat folders? Will doing this cause me to lose anything important?

Thanks
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2004, 12:09 AM
    Re: index.dat folders
    G'day

The .dat file is just a data file which contains an index relevant to a program or process. Depending on what folder it is in, I can't really give you anymore help without more detail to where the index.dat file is situated.

Regards
    alicka
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2004, 12:41 AM
    Hi again Alicka,
    The index.dat folders are in my temp folder and there are 3 of them. One for history, cookies, and urls.
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2004, 05:58 PM
    Hey how you doing? OK the temp folder is where temporarly files are stored. So you system can load faster and be more efficient. Try delete them it may or maynot let you delete them. Don't be to fussed about getting rid of them because there not that important.

Regards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening index.that file. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing this thread hoping someone can help me. I was trying to open the index.dat file located in the temporary internet files folder, but using notepad, the information appears unformatted and encrypted. Is there any way (program) to open this file and see the information with a...

Folders [ 3 Answers ]

When using windows explorer to browse my music folders, some folders do not have the album art. Where are these pictures stored?

Lost Network Folders [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Can anyone please help me. I have home network setup between my PC and my daughters upstairs by ethernet cable from her PC directly into speedtouch 530 modem which is then connected to my PC by usb cable. All working fine until other day when I had to uninstall and then reinstall...

Index.that [ 7 Answers ]

Index.dat files,everyone who uses Windows will have noticed them.Apparently the 'real' reason for these files is a bit of a mystery.They are in constant use when Windows is running,that is why you have to exit,before they can be deleated.Some with difficulty,and some just don't want to go.To be...

View more questions Search