Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwbell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Tiling Backsplash that now has formica
    Must the formica that now covers my backsplash in my kitchen be removed before installing a new tile backsplash? CAn the tile be adhered directly to the formica? If so what needs to be done to it and what is the best adhesive to use?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwbell
    Must the formica that now covers my backsplash in my kitchen be removed before installing a new tile backsplash? CAn the tile be adhered directly to the formica? If so what needs to be done to it and what is the best adhesive to use?
    If the formica is thoroughly cleaned there shouldn't be a problem.
    Who are you buying your tiles from? The may have a recommended or preferred adhesive and I would use their advise.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
    If it is a high gloss formica you'll need to scuff it up and then vac the dust off it. As for an adhesive just a pre mixed mastic will do fine for tiles that are 6" or less

As for what type of sand paper to use id go with 60 or 80 grit, orbitial sanders work best and in less time
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Oct 8, 2007, 05:25 AM
    If this were my home I would remove formica & install Hardi-backer (cement board) coated with HPG due to the amount of moisture in the area. After years of tiling I am more inclined to use thinset on most jobs. There is a thinset made for every application.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling formica backsplash [ 3 Answers ]

What modifications do I need to make to install ceramic tile on a formica backsplash? Can I simply "rough-up" the formica with coarse sandpaper? OR Is installing cement board onto the formica the best approach? OR Is there another method better or the only way? Thanks

Installing backsplash on fibreglass sink [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a fibreglass sink on top of a vanity and now I need to attach the 2 pieces of backsplash (also fibreglass), one on each side of the countertop. What sort of adhesive do I use and do I use adhesive where the backsplash touches the sidewall or just where it touches the countertop?

Plexiglass Backsplash for stove area [ 1 Answers ]

I want to create a glow in the dark backsplash for my stovetop. Any ideas of what paint to use. I would also like it to be embossed in areas. Maybe a combination of paints?

Mosaic on formica? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a mosaic on my bath room counter which is formica. Will the mud base used for tile stick to formica? Is there an alternative or is it a lost cause?:confused:

Tile over formica? [ 6 Answers ]

Help - I am trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Can I install tile over sound kitchen counter formica ?

View more questions Search