Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Oct 4, 2007, 08:07 PM
    I need details on this absurd idea called SafeSpeed
    Has anyone heard of safespeed? Ive heard is been in houston for about a year now and its coming to my hometown. Its annoying as all getup. Basically, they set up cameras at all intersections in town, and when you speed or run a light, they take a pic of your license and mail you a ticket...

Any details at all would be GREATLY appreciated
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Oct 4, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Where I live the cameras are already up where the traffic lights are and as you run the light *snap* they take a pic and they do send you a ticket. What you got outa it is exactly right.. not much more to it, lol.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Why is it annoying? Don't speed or run a red light, and you won't get a ticket in the mail. We've had those cameras here for a while now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 08:26 PM
    This is a very common thing done in many cities now, ( esp the red lights)
    rwbell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me in Scottsdale AZ. A few days after I got the ticket in the mail I received a letter from another company offering to tell me how to "beat" the ticket. I looked into this and the way to beat the ticket is to just ignore it. Speeding tickets must be personally given. If you have not contacted the issuing department or made any contact with them they have no legal ramifications. If you live in the city, you may be served with the violation and if you accept it you are liable. Now this is how it is in AZ.. Not sure about other states.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Oct 4, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Well, Lafayette isn't taking it well at all... and if rwbell's message holds any truth in my town I will personally see to it that everyone knows about it, and ignores the stupid things.
    The speed of our main street is 40 mph. Nobody... goes 40. Its always 45, everyone goes 45.

Were thinking of some kind of light refracting lense you can put over your plate, to where when a cop looks at it its fine, but since the cameras are above, either the lamp posts or the sun will blind out plate from it.
    Im not cool with this idea at all, I mean, what if big brother borrows your car, or you had no idea about it and spent a day riding 2 miles over and got like 700$ in tickets.
    All its going to end up doing is causing a lot more pedestrian and child casualties because all the johnston street traffic will go into all the residential neighborhoods... Blah, I'm usually the one fighting for the man!
    The man has made me angry...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Yeah we are turning into a nanny state country. They are even trying to pass laws that you will not be allowed to smoke in your own apartment. San Francisco wants to pass a law that you can only put so much water in your pets bowl. In a situation like shygrneyzs says it is good to have it cause too many times the insurance co. rules in the one in the obviously wrongs favor. I have seen it too often. I have a not very good theory on that!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 04:38 PM
    I do not have a problem with the cameras on the intersections. Do you know how many people run the red lights or speed down the street and even try and pass a car on the right? Why shouldn't those people get a ticket? I was hit from behind a month or so ago and it was the camera at the intersection that sealed the other dirver's fate. Showed her clearly speeding, talking on the cell phone, and then slamming in the rear of my truck. Now talking on a cell and driving is not against the law here but it lent to the distraction and the accident.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 15, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Those cameras are a bad idea. They serve only one purpose: To generate revenue. The thing of it is, you are required to stop for yellow lights if you can do so safely. If you cannot stop safely, you are permitted to go through. Those cameras don't capture the "big picture" like the semi-truck that's been tailgating you, which you firmly believe will cream you if you try to stop.

The computer that snaps the photo does cannot appreciate judgment calls made in a split second.

I prefer having undercover cops watching intersections, who then radio to a partner to bust the offending driver. They have the experience and the judgment to make the right call. Computers do not and are a bad, bad, bad idea.
    SasukiLucy Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Oct 15, 2007, 09:06 PM
    We have those cams now too... I think they creep me out...

Oh, just remember... don't pick your nose when you're driving alone... big brother sees all...
    Tuesday1377 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2008, 11:19 AM
    You can purchase a license plate cover that blocks them from seeing the information on the photo. There is also the issue of what if it's your car, but you aren't driving it? In those cases, they drop the ticket. Regarding the yellow light therory: they time it very carefully to avoid the issue. You may want to do a Google search on the issue. Good luck, and drive safe!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

I have more details about my first post. [ 1 Answers ]

OK... its not a cartoon... I just remember these animals like puppets or something and it was like a horse and a lamb and I think a cat and the ground was like a blanket and they had little children's voices and one episode they were making a stew... oh geesh I have issues!! but I need to know what...

Details for ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I need to apply for ITIN for my wife who is on H4 with me . I came to US in Aug 2006. Can I send just only W7 to IRS to get ITIN or do I have to go for any other things. Or do I need to send it when I file my returns?

View more questions Search