Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynette5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Sublease fraud
    I am subleasing a home for 1500.00 and have been for 6th months. The agent advised me the owners where renting to own the home for 1500 a month when I then contacted the owners they advised me that the agent lied to me and them(owners) and they(owners) where renting the home for 900 a month not 1500 and they only allowed her to sublease not do a rent to make a profit. The owners stated that they did not allow her to sublease for more than the amount she is paying them which is 900 a month, the owners stated 'why would I allow someone to make profit on my house"! So she lied to me as well as the owners and took 600 a month in profit every month. She told the owners that I only pay her 900 a month when I pay 1500 a month. Me and the owners are taking her to court because of the moral issue not so much of the money. Do I have a case in the state of Virginia??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 07:11 PM
    ?? What money lost ? You have a valid written lease to pay a certain amount of money. What is wrong with her making a profit, ( OK a large one) but it is very legal to sublease as long as it is allowed in the original lease.

So you can continue to sublease and pay your money and enjoy your home. I bet you thought it was a great home, and worth the money until you found out the other person was making a large profit.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:34 PM
    When you rent from someone they are allowed to add a "markup". Just like if you were renting an apartment, if your paying 1500 a month it doesn't cost the landlord 1500 a month per apartment in expenses, there is a nice profit for them.

Why would she have to charge you what she is being charged?
    SharonfromHoboken Posts: 14, Reputation: 7

Oct 5, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    When you rent from someone they are allowed to add a "markup".
    That is not true across the board.

Ask anyone who ever sublet a rent controlled unit only to find out that they owed the subtenant two or three times the rent overcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by lynette5I
    Me and the owners are taking her to court becuase of the moral issue not so much of the money.
    You need a legal wrong, and not a moral one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sublease tenant situation [ 4 Answers ]

A subleaser leased a room (and other space) in an apartment that was being renovated to me, but it was not completely finished until 2 months after the said move in date. During the delays he said we didn't have to sign a new lease. I checked the lease and there isn't any part about construction...

Sublease not signed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about New Jersey real estate law. I live in a place with two others and only one of the others has signed the lease as the Owner of the property only wanted one name on the lease. The owner is aware there are three people living here and has received checks by me to them. My...

Sublease unsigned [ 3 Answers ]

I recently took over a lease in (FL.) for a friend. I never signed the lease but I did sign a roommate exchange with the other two parties, also my parents co-signed for me. I have the original lease agreement witch the property mgr. just brought to me to sign. I've been living in this apartment...

How to Sublease [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about subleasing for three months. Where can I get forms for a sublease that is legally binding? Can I say that if there is $50 from the rent that will be applied towards utility, but if they use more then they have to pay the excess? Thanks!

Sublease [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1 year lease which states that the Tenant shall not sublet all or any part of the Premises or assign or transfer the agreement or any interest in it without Landlord's prior written consent. My Tenant/Tenants have done the opposite. Three people were on the lease two of the persons moved...

View more questions Search