Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gorjussexy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Reducing and Non reducing sugars
    Why is a sugar reducing and nonreducing?
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Oct 6, 2007, 01:49 AM
    Reducing sugars are monosaccarides and disaccarides. If my memory serves me right they discolour benedicts solutions because the above sugars have a Hydroxyl group. This group reacts with the copper in the benedicts solution changing it's colour.

Non reducing sugars are polysaccarides - they do not have the hydroxyl group and therefore have to be refluxed in acid to obtain a similar reactive group.
    pakshet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 10:57 PM
    Comment on Evil dead's post
    What if sucrose? Or inverted sugar?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reducing Tummy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I was taking alcohol somewhat regularly for last 2 year. I don't realize when my tummy came out. I stopped alcohol completely now and want to concentrate on reducing my tummy. I can jog, skip and can control me food. These are the things I can do. Is it OK? If yes, then please tell me...

Reducing redness [ 2 Answers ]

How can I reduce bad redness around a pimple?

Reducing vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My teacher told me that usually we can't reduce vectors for example (6,8) can't be reduced to (3,4) but she also said that sometimes we can reduce. Can somebody please explain to me when we can and can't reduce vectors and why? Thank you

Reducing taxes [ 5 Answers ]

It is true that if a spouse writes a new warranty deed and adds his or her spouse to it that the WD can be written for a lesser amount that the property value and so in turn taxes are reduced... and if so what type of negative results could that have on the property value?

View more questions Search