Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lifewillbewhatyoumakeit Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Is it possible to love a partner unconditionally?
    Does anybody really believe that it is possible?

... those of you who have been married for several years or even in a relationship for a long period...

Could you love them regardless.. if they lost their looks in the morning or limbs... would you want them the same?
    Are most people fickle and out for a challenge... what they can't have they want more?

... less pleasing when possessed??
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
    You are not supposed to love a partner unconditionally! Where did you get that idea?

You are supposed to love babies and children unconditionally. Adults, NO!

Oct 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
    That's what I thought actually.

I believe the only real love is unconditional! I think there is infatuation and lust but eventually everything fades.. maybe it's a negative outlook to have?
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Oct 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Yes I do strongly believe that unconditional loe exists. I honestly do not believe, nor do I understand why, but my husband will always love me, besides Christ it's the strongest faith that I have in my life.
    I could be a burn victim, cheat on him, lie, steal, become a druggie, become horribly disfigured, and he always would love me.
    It does exist, don't worry :)
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Oct 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
    I guess I do not love my partner unconditionally, no. If he were to do something against my morals, I don't think I would stay with him. But it sounds like what you are talking about is appearance. So if my partner woke up in the morning without his looks or his limbs, yes I would still love him. I didn't fall in love with his skin and bones, I fell in love with his personality. So his outward appearance means nothing to me as long as he is the same inside.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Yes I believe in it.

But it doesn't happen with every relationship... that's why those ones usually don't last.

If you are telling me that your partner could wake up in the morning, have bad morning breath, hair a mess... and you would love them less?? Then no, that is not a relationship you should be in.

You will know it when you find it...

Relationships have their ups and downs... and at times you make not like your partner for some reason or another, but that doesn't mean you love them any less.

Oct 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Yes ashleysb... but you say you did not fall in love not with his skin bones... but could you stay with him and be intimate with him if looks and all were gone?

Do you not think you would crave to be with the man you once met?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
    If you are in love with someone, the way their looks change over the years should not matter. You should love them for who they are inside, not outside. I don't look the same as I did when I first got married, nor does my husband, but we still love each other more than ever.

You can't expect someone look the same forever.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
    I believe in unconditional love and that it can exist in an adult relationship. If you the example of Christ's unconditional love for us, He loves us even when we feel at our most unloveable. You can love someone and yet not love the wrong that they do - such as theft or drug or abuse. That does not mean you have to stay and tolerate it. You should love yourself enough to realize that staying in a relationship, such as an abusive one, is not physically or emotionally healthy. Some people get that confussed and stay because they say, "but I love him/her."
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Oct 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lifewillbewhatyoumakeit
    Yes ashleysb.... but you say you did not fall in love not with his skin bones... but could you stay with him and be intimate with him if looks and all were gone?

do you not think you would crave to be with the man you once met?
    Ill answer for her also because I could have made the xact same statement as her... If my husband lost his limbs I would be depressed but for his sake not mine. Its HIM that I love, not the sex, not the intimacy. Even now there will be someday that he might not be able to perform in bed anymore, will I then leave him or wish that he was 23 again? no.
    Sickness and in health.
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Oct 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lifewillbewhatyoumakeit
    does anybody really believe that it is possible?

... those of you who have been married for several years or even in a relationship for a long period of time...

could you love them regardless .. if they lost their looks in the morning or limbs ... would you want them the same?
    are most people fickle and out for a challenge ......what they can't have they want more?

......less pleasing when possessed???
    I believe that if your love is NOT unconditional.. then it's not love.. simple as that:)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:17 AM
    I believe it is possible. But I also believe that love ought to be earned. I don't think anyone should "love" a drug-abusing spouse-and-child beater, at least not in the sense that's intended in this discussion. You can perhaps "love" them to the effect that you want them to get help for themselves. But that has to be an almost patronizing kind of "love", not true love as intended in this thread.
    BBKittyKat Posts: 29, Reputation: 12

Feb 9, 2011, 01:28 AM
    Yes, I love my ex unconditionally.

Even if he was the poorest man on earth, even if he lost a limb, even if he cheated on me, even if he condemned me to the ends of the world, even if he tore my heart apart, I will still be here to love him wholeheartedly should he need me one day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

Loving unconditionally [ 3 Answers ]

I have a nineteen year old daughter who I have always been proud of. She is smart girl, always did well in school and made responsible decisions. She and I had been very close and had so much in common. She now is choosing a life style that I don't approve of. Nothing that most people would be...

My partner says he doesn't love me physically [ 4 Answers ]

Today my partner finally told me after 3 years that he has love for me, but he doesn't love me like I love him.. that is with physical love. We've never had what you would call a highly active sex life, however, when I've questioned him he's always given an excuse. He says he finds me attractive...

Me and my partner keep arguing [ 7 Answers ]

Im 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and recently me and my boyfriend haven't stopped arguing and it is really getting to me. It can be over anything no matter how big or small. It could be about him supporting me his work anything. I just want us to stop I want my boyfriend back. I can't keep arguing it is...

Partner cheating [ 3 Answers ]

Just found out something that has been happening in my life for a while and I was unaware. My partner of11 yrs, we have 2 kids, left us on nw yrs eve, going into 06, he had said a few mnths before that he wasn't happy and wasny sure that he wnted to be here anymore, I had a feeling that he was...

View more questions Search