Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Oct 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Chinese Philosophy.
    These two quotes are from Daoism.

" I take no action and the people are reformed.
    I enjoy my peace and people become honest.
    I do nothing and people become rich.
    I have no desires and people return to the good and simple life."
    -Lao Tzu

"Keep your mouth closed.
    Gaurd your sense.
    Temper your sharpness.
    Simplify your problems.
    Mask your brightness.
    Be at one with the dust of the earth.
    This is primal union"
    -Lao Tzu

Okay so, read those. I think they are compatible. Do you? Why? how do you see this.

EDIT
    I see them similar because they both speak of simplicity. Just going with the flow.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Both are compatible.

Both stress the ultimate truth that suffering is caused by human being's ego, desire for power, competetiveness, and the chase for earthly pleasures---so quiet the self in order to emanate all that is peaceful harmony---a natural state. That is the road to integrity and happiness.
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Oct 4, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Really You know I refrained for beliving that but maybe I didn't understand the quote.

Thanks, that helped a lot.
    It made me better understand. When I tried to break it down word for word it didn't seem as if it made sense.
    Who's your favorie chinese philosopher?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I haven't read much in Chinese philosophy, not "The Art of War and only a few snippets of Confucius--*except* I studied "Tao Te Ching" a few years ago. :) There is so much to learn from it and from explanation of the terms and meanings by an expert! I wish my memory were better so I could recall more in detail. C'est la vie. I would have to consult my notes which are packed away in a closet along with the book. I'm wanting to get it out ASAP thanks to your question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy of sound [ 14 Answers ]

Someone must be able to come up with something: If a tree fell in a forest and nobody was around, would it make a noise? I have a theory on this.

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

Philosophy [ 10 Answers ]

Is philosophy a concept or a study?

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

View more questions Search