Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Husband getting wisdom teeth removed.thing I should get while he recovers?
    My husband is 26 and will be getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow.

I had all 4 of mine extracted when I was about 16... so that was 9 years ago and I can't remember too much about it.

I know they say recovery is worse the older you are (as far as this goes).

I am going out today to get things, such and food and stuff, for him while he recovers. I know its easier if it's soft things like pudding and jello... but I am running out of ideas of stuff to get.

I want to make sure I have anything he will need or could need, that way I don't have to leave him unattended.

Any suggestions?? :confused:
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Some Head-on for starters... LOL(apply directly to the forehead... )

Chipped ice is always a good thing to have(block cubes are too much for the sore jaw)

Ensure,energy shakes,Slim fast,and the puddings,Jellos,etc... more if I can think of them.

Ken
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I wanted milkshakes! My poor hubby must have gone to McDonald's a million times for stupid milkshakes!

There are a lot of soft foods out there, but he might not feel like eating. Jello, pudding, mashed potatoes, yogurt, ice cream, overcooked pasta... all are good things for sore jaws. Don't forget oatmeal and soup, too. Make sure you have ice packs for him, I liked using the re-freezable gel packs because they were flatter and easier to manage.

I had all four of mine removed about 18 months ago and I recovered very quickly and with no complications. A friend of mine ended up with a dry socket, so make sure he's really careful of that happening. His doctor should give you some information on what he needs, what he can and can't do, etc once the procedure is complete.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Milk shakes are actually a bad idea after an extraction. The suction needed to drink a shake can pull out the blood clot and cause a dry socket, oh so very painful. You best answer may not come from the Help Desk since you can ask the oral surgeon for feeding advice. The real docs know best in this situation.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Another thing I just thought of - I had trouble opening my mouth all the way because of soreness and swelling, it is likely your husband will too. If you don't have any child-sized flatware in your home, pick some up, it will make eating a lot easier for him. I used plastic forks and spoons and managed just fine, so that's another alternative.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Thanks for all your help :) Just got back from the store and got all kinds of things you suggested... I totally forgot about yogurt (all I could think of was pudding and mashed potatoes) and about the ice packs... actually now that I think about it, I forgot to get those at the store :( CRAP!
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
    OK how did it go?
    Ken
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC
    OK how did it go?
    Ken
    Oh it went okay. They had trouble with one tooth... so that side is pretty swollen. He came out from the dentist and was like "oh that was easy, I'm fine"... yeah until we got home and the meds wore off!

He is pretty swollen, and the pain meds aren't working too well. :( It's hard because he is so hungry, and things like jello, and pudding, and such aren't filling him up. But hopefully things will get better here in the next few days.

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
    I didn't see the post in time, otherwise I would have recommended Neutrament which is available at the food sore.
    Dave3435x Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    My husband is 26 and will be getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow.

I had all 4 of mine extracted when I was about 16...so that was 9 years ago and I can't remember to much about it.

I know they say recovery is worse the older you are (as far as this goes).

I am going out today to get things, such and food and stuff, for him while he recovers. I know its easier if it's soft things like pudding and jello...but I am running out of ideas of stuff to get.

I want to make sure I have anything he will need or could need, that way I don't have to leave him unattended.

Any suggestions????:confused:
    He'll be a drooling incoherent mess for the first few hours at least. The more impacted the worse. Hey, don't let the endodontist let some lackey put any instruments in his mouth. I have more than one friend who has had a tooth chipped that way. Get some health shakes from the frozen food section. And nothing that will remoting upset the stomach. The stomach is always a little sensitive when there's pain - especially if he's on any med. Chances are the doc will give him like co-tylenol (at least) or an even stronger pain killer - and don't mix any pain killer with alcohol. It's a recipe for heart failure. Get apple sauce an other soft fruit - like cranberry etc. Creamed soups are always good. Like a few days he'll be able to eat softer foods like pasta. Bon Apetite
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Hope all is well,How is that Head-on working? LOL

Neutrament was the product I used(all those years ago)

From us well wishers,GET WELL SOON!!

Ken:)
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC
    Hope all is well,How is that Head-on working? LOL

Neutrament was the product I used(all those years ago)

From us well wishers,GET WELL SOON!!!!!!

Ken:)
    Things are going well... now. He was in A LOT of pain over the weekend. We went in Monday and they removed the stitch he had to get... that relieved a lot of the pain. Then, with one of the teeth they had a lot of trouble getting out, it developed dry socket... so they packed that, which helped too.

They are having us come back everyday to remove the packing and put in new packing until it starts to heal.

Thanks! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 08:00 PM
    My friend ended up with a dry socket, she said the pain was horrible. I feel bad for your husband; having the extractions is bad enough - tack MORE pain on top of it and it's just not fair! Hopefully with the packing it will start to heal and he will start to feel a lot better. Best wishes to him!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Five wisdom teeth. [ 8 Answers ]

So, I've needed my wisdom teeth out for a little while now. I have five wisdome teeth but none of them have erupted yet. My face swells up sometimes and I can't eat.. they cause a lot of pain. Not all the time though. They just act up at times. I've lost my insurance now and the dentist had told me...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. [ 6 Answers ]

K I just got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago and I'm still in pain and I'm still swollen. 1 of my stitches fell out today and I'm wondering if that's normal. I'm like totally freaking out. Am I allowed to smoke? I have been and I'm very worried if I'm going to get an infection. Can...

Wisdom teeth [ 10 Answers ]

All four of my wisdom teeth are coming out together. Uper left one doesn't hurt at all but coming out in a wrong direction, lower left one is perfectly fine so far. The problem is with the right side, there is not enough space for the teeth to come out, uppor or lower part, the pain started couple...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search