Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    computertrouble Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 05:10 AM
    USB Hard drive
    Hello

Im trying to connect a usb hard drive and not having any luck, my computer is not reading the drive. What do I do?:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
    What version of Windows? Try a different port or see if it works in a different PC.

Oct 4, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Hi

Im using Win XP Home, tried it in all ports, no luck. In the computer manager it shows that my usb hard drive is there but there is no disk letter specified and I don't know how to go about allocating one to it.

Oct 4, 2007, 06:01 AM
    When you insert a USB drive it should prompt you what you want to do with it. If it doesn't the drive may be damaged. Try it in another PC.

Oct 4, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Well I think the drive is damaged then, as I've tried it in two computers already :-( There is no reading on either computer and I get no options when I plug in the drive. My father has the same model and his works fine, so I'm guessing my one is damaged. Very sad.

Can it be repaired somehow? Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Oct 4, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Nope. No repair. I never keep files ONLY on a flash drive.

Oct 4, 2007, 06:15 AM
    :-( :-( it's OK... it was a new drive... so nothing lost, just as well.

You've been very helpful... thanks. I can go sleep now... nite!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 4, 2007, 07:51 AM
    You actually might want to try disk management to see if it shows up there as unpartitioned. Right click my computer, click manage, and click down on disk management. If it shows up there, you just have to right click in the part that says "Unallocated" next to the drive (near the bottom) and follow the steps onscreen. If it DOESN'T show up there, well the yes, it's probably damaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB hard drive, recognized but no volume letter [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a USB External Hard Drive. But when I plug it into my laptop and Desktop computers, both running Win XP Pro, the system recognized it immediately And there is an "Safely remove Hardware" icon shown on the right bottom. But I can not find out the drive volume letter for this USB...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Need a non-USB external hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to utilize an old (read: OLD) Thinkpad to play .mp3's on my home stereo. Problem is, the laptop doesn't have a USB port. Are there (ok, were there) ext h-d's that weren't USB dependent, or do I need to find a USB flash card?

USB Portable Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an existing hard drive that was formatted to be a slave (without OS) and has data already on it. I removed the hard drive from the machine and plugged it into a USB Portable Hard Drive. My computer will not recognize that the external hard drive is present. I do not want to erase the data...

No Volume Label- Hard drive in USB case [ 10 Answers ]

I have taken a 120 gig hard drive from another computer and put it into an external case plugged into my laptop through USB. The Laptop, running XP, recognises the device and I can drill down to see the drive but no label has been assigned and I can't access the disk. The disk management tool...

View more questions Search