Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sybille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 02:13 AM
    Hippa Violations
    I have a question that no one may be able to answer, but I would like some feed back from some of you. My local hospital has recently fired and/or suspended several employee for looking up their own medical records, claiming it is a HIPPA violation. I am very confused about this because how is it a violation of privacy to look at your own records. I can understand how it could be a violation of policy.. (i.e. you must go through medical records to get a copy of your report), but I do not understand how that is a HIPPA violation. Any input or comments are appreciated...
    Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 02:17 AM
    It is a HIPAA violation if no release was signed. There are certain portions of the medical record that are for the health care giver's eyes only, as well as medical billing.

You may find a better answer to your question here

HHS - Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 4, 2007, 08:13 AM
    J-9 is correct. I've also known employees to be fired looking up their own or family members information. It's a violation of privacy and frowned upon because when health-care workers access their records, there is usually nothing stopping them from making edits, deletions, etc. For everyone's safety and privacy, HIPAA has enforced these rules.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
    You see, the medical record is the property of the institution in which it is housed, i.e. hospital, doctor's office, clinic, etc.

It is a violation to review any medical record of any patient, whether it be yourself or someone else, without a signed release. At that point only certain portions of the medical record are available to the requestor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation violations [ 4 Answers ]

My roommate has been on probation for 20 months of a 24 month sentence. His conviction was for a Alcohol related misdemeanor. Part of his probation was no alcohol consumption and no attending bars. He has not been arrested however he has been to a few bars seeming how he is a senior in college. ...

HIPPA violations [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of...

Aflac/hippa violations? [ 8 Answers ]

What is the deal with the fewer caps thing?? Sorry it's all in lower caps, but here goes: I'm currently out of work disabled and have been since June 6. when I initially got the ball rolling on filing my aflac claim, I gave my boss the employer statement to fill out, but she said she...

What are the 10 most common violations? [ 2 Answers ]

In dwellings and for new and old installations. 1. Are AFCI's the way to go, and are they required when replacing receptacles or fixtures in a bedroom? 2. How are we supposed to test a GFCI? 3. Is there really a problem when VD shows up during an inspection, or is reversed polarity more...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search