Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rokko Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2007, 05:19 PM
    2 yo rescue is fouling her crate
    2 months ago, we adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweet dog and gets along great with our kids. She also seems to be super calm; loves to lay on the bed and relax.

Housebreaking is a problem though, when we're not around. Here's the story:

She was a breeder's dog and had a kennel with a doggy door to a run, she was fed free choice as she could go out at any time. She doesn't play either; probably never was taught as a pup.

We have been getting her on a schedule for feedings and bathroom. She now goes when we let her out (at first she just wanted to come in, then would need to go out shortly after.. free choice there too). We make a big deal every time she does her business outside!

The first night, we crated her in the kitchen and she yipped and wailed. We caved on the second night and brought the crate upstairs (we like her up with us anyway).

The first time we left her alone for about 1 1/2 hours, she pooped in her crate (wire type) and kicked the mess out around the kitchen. We got home and had to wash her, the bedding, the crate and clean the kitchen. We tried a few more times, but gave up on the crate (our bad).

Next we tried penning of a small area for her... same results although she had a couple days with nothing, but many more with a mess. She actually steps in it and tracks it through the area.

We also tried giving her the whole kitchen; she still pooped, but usually didn't track it. The whole (or half) kitchen is not so good since we caught her on the table and counter... she could get hurt (knocked the coffee pot out of the coffee maker).

Today we went back to the crate while at work (6 hours at the most). We left out the bedding and she made a mess, pooping and then kicking it out.

We also were feeding her too much and now feed the right amount; once a day in the afternoon. She goes out an hour after eating (and goes) and a couple more times in the evening (number 1). We get her up early and she goes out and does both; we also try to have her go once more, but only #1 if anything. I can't see how she has any left in her. I've never heard of soiling the crate!

She's a great dog, if only she would hold it. I think we need to stick with the crate and give it more time.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
    Rokko
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 09:25 PM
    It is strange, neither I nor the many people I know that have dogs or the people that write books have ever heard of it, but there are several questions a week here about it, and sometimes ones on another site. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/m...te-136806.html I really don't have an answer, and nobody else seems to either. Dogs will eliminate under stress. I think the stress of being confined and left alone causes it. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 as I suggest in the other thread. Laying down by the crate before leaving may work. The peanut butter in the Kong may help. Walking around outside to stimulate bowel movements might help, but they always seem to have more when they need it. Go ahead with the leadership exercises I included in my other answer. You could try covering the crate with something he couldn't pull in and shred. That would make it more den like reducing the stress of being exposed in an open cage. Leave some opening to see out of. It should also help to contain the mess.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 10:05 PM
    It does sound a little more of a stress issue than a behavioral one (although the puppy mill-like environment she came from is partly responsible) so I think you must remain consistent at all costs. Here is what I would recommend...

Borrow or purchase the smallest crate that she will fit in OR find a way of reducing the amount of space in the crate that you are using. Then, feed her at her usual time, take her outside to eliminate then bring her in. Then in an excited fussing way ask her if she wants a 'peanut butter bone' in a high, excited voice. Prepare a peanut butter filled toy or dog safe bone while she watches and you talk in that excited voice. Then, put her in the crate with the peanut butter filled toy or bone. Put it in the basement or another dark, quiet room and leave her there for one hour. If she does okay, praise her like crazy, take her outside and play with her, make a huge fuss and give her a treat. If she isn't successful, say and do absolutely nothing. Take/put her outside, clean the crate for the next day. Do NOT give her anything that could misconstrued as positive attention.

The next day, if day 1 went well, extend the time by 15 minutes. If day 1 was unsuccessful, shorten the time by 15 minutes. Make a big fuss before the crate, with excited talk of a peanut butter bone, and always be consistent with that. Try again and see how it goes. If she has been successful and has a bad episode, immediately go back to the last successful time and work from that. Once she has been successful for a reasonable amount of time, you might start working on increasing the cage space.

Another thing, which may be a little controversial with some people here, but I am a firm believer in, if you do feel it may be anxiety related, speak to your vet about a homeopathic or medical remedy.

I hope this helps a bit. I have done extensive work with some pretty high anxiety rescues with excellent results. Good luck!

Hugs, Didi
    rokko Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2007, 03:40 AM
    Thanks for the good advice!

We try to keep her busy and not bored. She's still not a "playa", but we keep trying. We do take her to the soccer field and she gets along well with other dogs and very well with kids. She''s sweet when she isn't pooping. Perhaps we should try a playdate with another dog and make a big deal when the other dog plays.. maybe it'll help her catch on.

She still fouls the crate and would have it on her feet or in her fur.. always a tough clean-up when we come home.

I did a few days with short crate sessions 1 hr, OK... 1/2 hr.. poop.. I'm thinking it's not so much a stress thing; more a timing thing (it was mid day). She doesn't know she's supposed to hold it (having lived in a kennel with a run).

A couple nights, she snuck downstairs and went (same place on kitchen floor where we had penned her). I wonder about a doggy door... We do have a fenced yard. Maybe put the crate with door open, fixed to the doggy door... Maybe at some point down the road.

I took the advice about putting a tray in the crate - closet org shelving so the poop drops through onto the pan. It makes clean-up easier. This lets us stick with the crate approach without the pressure of tough clean-up and lost patience and pressure to re-home.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 05:05 AM
    I don't like doggy doors, but they seem to work for many people.
    jmitchell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rokko
    2 months ago, we adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweet dog and gets along great with our kids. She also seems to be super calm; loves to lay on the bed and relax.

Housebreaking is a problem though, when we're not around. Here's the story:

She was a breeder's dog and had a kennel with a doggy door to a run, she was fed free choice as she could go out at any time. She doesn't play either; probably never was taught as a pup.

We have been getting her on a schedule for feedings and bathroom. She now goes when we let her out (at first she just wanted to come in, then would need to go out shortly after..free choice there too). We make a big deal every time she does her business outside!

The first night, we crated her in the kitchen and she yipped and wailed. We caved on the second night and brought the crate upstairs (we like her up with us anyway).

The first time we left her alone for about 1 1/2 hours, she pooped in her crate (wire type) and kicked the mess out around the kitchen. We got home and had to wash her, the bedding, the crate and clean the kitchen. We tried a few more times, but gave up on the crate (our bad).

Next we tried penning of a small area for her... same results although she had a couple days with nothing, but many more with a mess. She actually steps in it and tracks it through the area.

We also tried giving her the whole kitchen; she still pooped, but usually didn't track it. The whole (or half) kitchen is not so good since we caught her on the table and counter... she could get hurt (knocked the coffee pot out of the coffee maker).

Today we went back to the crate while at work (6 hours at the most). We left out the bedding and she made a mess, pooping and then kicking it out.

We also were feeding her too much and now feed the right amount; once a day in the afternoon. She goes out an hour after eating (and goes) and a couple more times in the evening (number 1). We get her up early and she goes out and does both; we also try to have her go once more, but only #1 if anything. I can't see how she has any left in her. I've never heard of soiling the crate!

She's a great dog, if only she would hold it. I think we need to stick with the crate and give it more time.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
    Rokko
    Dogs will eliminate due to stress. She needs to be built up slowly in time increments to build her confidence and courage at being left alone. If her history is in a kennel, being left alone is a nightmare... she doesn't know if you're coming back. She's kicking the poop out, not on purpose, but because she's spinning around in panic and agitation in her crate. Maybe you can find a local kennel for her day-care until you get her properly and humanely crate trained. Six hours is a long time for a dog to "hold it"... it's do-able but takes practice. Put her in the crate for 15 minutes, go release her, praise... do it several times, watching her to catch her before she goes. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy fouling own crate [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help us? We have got an 11 week old Working Cocker Spaniel, we have had him since he was 8 weeks. Both my husband and I had 2 weeks off work to donate our time to looking after and training him, however we are no further forward. Each night he poos and urinates in his crate. You can...

Rescue dogs [ 1 Answers ]

We acquired a rescue dog (chihuahua), that is, a dog kept in its kennel all its life by a puppy mill. We were very concerned to discover the other day that the dog was eating its own feces. Apparently there are certain animals in the wild -- types of snowshoe hares for instance -- that re-cycle...

Pet or animal Rescue [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any others here that do any sort of animal rescue? If so what kind and where? I was just wondering because I read every one profile and I seem to be the only one that is involved in this. I currently am volunteering for an equine rescue and of course my piggies.

View more questions Search