Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lily22200 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Question about Food
    Here is another question-- What do you think of Nutro food?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Likely there is nothing wrong with Nutro. It is sold through a network of small dealers. Many of the glowing anecdotal stories of success you read, may be written by somebody selling it. Frankly, your dog might do as well on Old Roy. He would not have a problem with the bigger, softer stools you would have to clean up. There is also the matter of the dog responding the owner's emotions. If the owner feels better about Nutro, the dog may do better. If you are worried sick about what you are feeding, it could be hurting your dog.

Suppose you knew a breeder that bred hundreds of dogs a year, mostly Labs, Shepherds, and Goldens. They provided all the medical care for most of them the first year. At the end of it, they did a complete physical including hip X-rays on all of them. They then spent $35,000 training them before giving them away. They have a large data base of breeding records. Dogs with any physical or temperamental problems are unfit for the program and are a waste. Their well equipped clinic and vet staff are available for serious problems as long as the dog is working. When the dog is no longer able to work, it is replaced at again the $35,000 plus a large emotional upheaval for the person depending on the dog. They have experimented with different diets and exchanged data with other such breeders. Don't you think that what ever they are feeding is healthy and safe? What kinds of controlled studies show the benefits of Nutro? How objective are the sources of your information? Is your dog's health, their top priority?

I have been raising puppies since 1991 for a large dog guide school that does exactly that. What do they feed? They instruct us to feed Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy chow until 4 months and then switch to adult Pro Plan chicken and rice. I know enough of the people with the trained dogs to know they continue the Pro Plan. The group I meet with monthly for training includes people that have raised puppies for 6 different service dog schools. Some of them are feeding other premium commercial chows including Iam's and Eukanuba. Any dog owner wanting a healthy, long lived dog can make this regimen work, leaving more time to spend on the dog. It is also relatively economical.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 14, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Since canines and felines originally ate raw kills, is it still OK to feed them raw food now and then. I knew a lady who had 11 cats and all had a different taste, i.e. hamburger, liver, kidney, heart, etc. and they lived a long time. I've also hear that an egg now and then was good for the coat.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 03:05 PM
    Dogs may think like wolves, but I would direct anyone to http://www.secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html that thinks eating like wolves would be good for them.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
    Got it , thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dry food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 2 month old French Bulldog and When we got him at the pet store the told us to mix his dry food with some wet food and I Have been doing this but it seems to give him massive diarrhea and it seems to be upsetting his stomach so I called my sister which just had a puppy and she gave her...

My dog is off her food [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been off her food for two days

Dog Food Question [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of Flint River Ranch dog food? It was recommended to me by the lady I rescued my Doxie pups from. She's a distributor so that makes me wonder if perhaps it would be better to get a vet recommended food for 7 month old pups as I don't want to overpay but yet get good quality...

Westie Pup Food Question [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 13 week old Westie pup (female). How much total food should she be eating each day (in tablespoons/cups/ounces)?

View more questions Search