Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nelly Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2004, 05:37 AM
    The return of the nightmare!
    !Hi guys, I'm new but with old problems. I got rid of DSO at long last ( ta alicka ) but I am getting heaps of rotten stuff in. I have the XP,s firewalls up, Norton Internet Security/ Anti Virus, Spybot and Adware. I still get Pos Browser hijacking and CoolWeb Search, WebDialer and some pop ups. Haven't I configed the applications right? For me there are too many tweeks for security and privicy in XP and the rest.
    Can you give this lost soul some sound tips. It seems an never ending battle with this. I had to re install XP a while ago and it has never been the same regarding IE. I update all new Symantec and Microsoft patches.
    By the way it is the same deleted stuff showing up in Adware. The start up page shows up as " about blank " and is a search page etc.
    Help me plllleeessssssssseee!
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2004, 09:34 PM
    Re: The return of the nightmare!
    G'day mate,
    In abit of a pickle ay? Don't stress, look no disrespect to Norton but they're crap. I recommend trend micro, I work for a rather large government department, and as we have such a great number of PC's we need the best Virus picking up software you can get. I've found trendmicro systems to offer a great live/active virus protection round the clock. It's essentially up to you, what you want!

Ok Adware... <crap>, look S&D is the only 1 you need, trust me! You just need to make sure you update it so it has a live listing of current bots.

Also Check out my DSO Eploit Fix complete, make sure you don't have ne of the files listed.DSO is a security flaw in IE, it allows web pages to execute code without leting the user know that it is. Hence why you get bots and virus's from just going to webpages.

Hope this helps.
    Regards~
    nelly Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2004, 03:19 AM
    Hi, I have not had problems with NIS or NAV until I re installed them and XP. Strange things happen now. Norton sometimes opens up with everything disabled. I shut off and log out then in to find it set up properly. I am or should I say my PC is virus free. Trojans have been blocked. Web Dialer is the one that sits in there which shows up in Spybot. The rest is found by Adware. Maybe all of them are related . I check my homepage before I start up and put in an address and this seems to do the trick as far as start up goes. The occasional pop up fires up.
    I must check again ref DSO. I removed all files shown up in Spybot in the registary but I only remember 5 I think. You say 10? Must check that out but DSO does not show when scanned by Spybot so it must be free, I hope. Cheers.
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
    G'Day

Did you check me complete DSO fix out? It'll tell you where them other DSO files are.
    Ok so what your telling me is that you have bots. Rite? Well if you run S&D and it still picks up bots then you haven't completely removed them.

Sumtins definitely wrong with your PC. Mite have an LSP resident, or sum type of virus or bot.

All I can say is, disconnect from the net. Run all you scanners. Make sure your up to date. You mite how to reinstall you windows. Put all you patches on to cd. N run them from there.

I'd really need to analyse your PC to get to the root of the problem.

Regards~
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 1, 2004, 09:29 PM
    My advice to you is simple:

PLEASE please stop using Internet Explorer. It is horrendously insecure, and lacks any semblance of modern features. I have not seen any significant improvements in IE in years.

Get yourself a decent web browser. It's amazing how many problems this will solve:

http://www.mozilla.org

... an amazing piece of software. It will take care of automatic pop-up blocking, cookie blocking, and good stuff like that. It also won't run those "ActiveX Controls" which really aren't good for anything but installing malware. You can also configure it to block those banner ads as well.

:)

~psi42
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2004, 06:52 AM
    My advice to you is simple:

PLEASE please stop using Internet Explorer.  It is horrendously insecure, and lacks any semblance of modern features.  I have not seen any significant improvements in IE in years.

Get yourself a decent web browser.  It's amazing how many problems this will solve:

Right. Please lose Outlook too and spare your friends and family receiving all the viruses. I am running Konqueror under Mandrake 9.3. I use Netscape 4.8 for email. I don't use any virus programs and open even doubtful emails, and never had a virus.

http://www.mozilla.org

... an amazing piece of software.  It will take care of automatic pop-up blocking, cookie blocking, and good stuff like that.  It also won't run those "ActiveX Controls" which really aren't good for anything but installing malware.  You can also configure it to block those banner ads as well.

:)

~psi42
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2004, 06:49 PM
    About::blank
    Hi,

I just tackled the about::blank hijacker on a service call earlier this afternoon and after about 2.5 hours of frustration, I finally got rid of it using the program called HijackThis! I could have gotten rid of it in the very beginning but the customer had so much other spyware and viruses going on that the about::blank was not an immediate priority. It's best to save it for last because it just may disappear on its own earlier in the removal process but I seriously doubt it. HijackThis will definitely get rid of your problem. Just Google it to find the site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return on Assets & Return on Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question... Lily Cosmetics has annual sales of $500,000,000. They maintain a net after tax profit margin of 5% and they have a sales-to-assets ratio of 4. A) What is the Return on assets? B) If the debt/equity ratio is 0.5, what is the Return on Equity?

Probate Nightmare Can Anyone Help? [ 23 Answers ]

This is the latest of what seems to be a hundred letters I have written trying to get help, of which there seems to be none, all because it's a piddly civil matter, I am positive this goes on in every state in this country and something must be done. This has destroyed my family who are good...

Computer nightmare [ 5 Answers ]

I am an computer illiterate and I need some help. My computer will not let me open my IE or access My computer or My control panel... I have Windows XP. I tried to run Spider exe but nothing changed. Anyone have any thoughts? :confused:

View more questions Search