Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandy Paws Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Bonded or Insured?
    I would like to start a small pet setting / walking business. I don't own a home, which is better to protect me? Bonding or being insured?
    Thank you
    Sandy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2007, 11:34 AM
    They are two different things. I would think you need liability insurance to protect you from lawsuits. Bonding is more a protection that you will fulfill your end of a contract.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 4, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Insurance contracts and bonding contracts generally are two completely different "animals" - (no pun intended) and they are different in that insurance, liability insurance is intended to pay for those actions or inactions that cause loss to others or their property. For example, in the line of business you are considering, if you erroneosly and by accident let a person's pet loose and that pet was lost, you may be sued and successfully held legally liable for the loss of that pet. Another example (and there are many almost infinite examples) might be that you fail to give a pet needed medication or give the pet too much medication resulting in the death or illness of the pet resulting in death or vet expenses to the owner. All these items would normally be payable for you by your liability insurance company as well as legal defense costs to deferd you if you feel you are not legally liable. Surety bonds (and there are two basic types of bonds, fidelity and surety bonds) generally assure that if you do not honor the terms of a contract entered into by you with a client, then the bond is considered in default and the surety company must pay for your lack of compliance with the terms of the contract. Fidelity bonds or fidelity insurance as it is often called, is an insurance contract and if an employee were to embezzle assets, property, money belonging to the employer, then the employer is reimbured by the fidelity insurance. The guilty employee then may be pursued then by the insurance company if they so chose for loss the employee caused to the employer. I have written many bonds and many insurance policies and have never known of a pet sitting service to need a bond of any type. However there is a definite need for liability insurance and perhaps workers compensation insurance with workers comp being dependent on how many employees you may have and the laws of the state you plan to operate in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Licensed bonded and insured [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my cleaning company Licensed bonded and insured . Thanks

Licensed bonded and insured [ 2 Answers ]

If I were to get a license from my city hall, do I need to get a license for each city I work in or just the city where my business is located?

Bonded and insured [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking of starting a service oriented business that would be conducted at an individuals private residences. Light repair, upkeep, etc. My husband and I would be the only employees. Do I need to be licensed, bonded and insured. If so, why and what must I do to achieve that status? Is...

Get bonded and insured [ 1 Answers ]

How does an individual get boned and insured?

Bonded and/or Insured or both [ 2 Answers ]

I have a photography sudio in my home and I was wondering if I needed to be bonded and or insured for liability? Does being bonded make much difference. Can you explain how to get bonded or do I really need this for my Photography Studio. I also do weddings and model portfolios. Thanks,...

View more questions Search