Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProFan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Basement Toilet Flush
    Last year we remodeled the basement and added a bathroom. The toilet drain runs only about 3 feet and empties into an ejector pit with pump, shared by the sink and shower. It seems to work well. However, many times the toilet needs to be flushed 3 times to clear it. Plunging doesn’t really change anything. I’ve been told that I need to replace my basic 1.6 gal flush toilet with a premium model to get a better flush. I want to make sure that this will solve the problem and that there is not an issue with the way it drains into the ejector pit.

ProFan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Did it flush OK when you installed it? I would be more inclined to suspect a vent that wasn't operating, however make sure the water level in the toilet tank is 1/2" below the white overflow tube. Is the toilet properly vented? Let me know. Regards, Tom
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 06:12 PM
    I assume your sewage pit is air tight and water tight, but is it vented? If not, it should be for proper operation of the pump and in this case the toilet as well (since the toilet is only 3 feet away)
    ProFan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2005, 07:25 AM
    The pit looks to be pretty well sealed. I'll try to find something to vent it. I think that you both are onto the main problem. Glad I didn't buy another new toilet and get to do this all over. Thanks! :D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Fan,

There should be a pipe coming out of the holding tank that vents the system.
    If not there should be a plugged hole where one should go. One more thing if you have to vent you can not use a AAV(air admittance valve) as a vent. The holding tank vent MUST be able to vent both iin and out. Let us know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

When we flush the toilet our drain in basement overflows [ 6 Answers ]

Help! This is our first house , we are broke and our drain on the basement floor is overflowing with sewage when we flush the toilet. My husband tried to snake the drain but could'nt find the hole . I poured that Rid-X stuff down in the toilet . What else can we do? Please helP[ ...

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

Toilet Flush Problems [ 1 Answers ]

This just happened last night. Someone in my household used the upstairs toilet, and it clogged badly. When I got home last night I used the plunger for about an hour to try to clear the clog. I got it to the point where the water in the bowl drained, but very, very, slowly. This morning, the...

View more questions Search