Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manman2207 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Atomic structure of the following atoms
    How many electrons would carbon nitrogen oxygen need to complete the second energy level
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Electrons circle the nucleus in energy levels also known as electron shells.

First energy level can fit two
    Second can fit 8
    Third can fit 8
    After that it gets more compicated but you don't need to worry about that here.

How do you know how many electrons an element has?
    Look at a periodic table
    It is the smaller number
    In Carbons case this is 6, this means it has 6 protons in its nucleus and therefore 6 electrons in its shells when it doesn't have a charge.

Now fill up the shells one by one
    Two in the first shell
    4 in the second

That means there are four empty places in the outermost shell (the valance shell)
    8 - 4 = your answer

Look up the atomic number for the other two and fill up the shells then you can easily work out how many additional electrons you need to complete each shell.

I hope this has made it clearer, have a go at the other two if you get stuck just post back

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sound/atomic structure [ 34 Answers ]

I was told that electrons, protons, and nuetrons were made up of sound energy. If so please expound. Thank you. Oh yeah, if not then what?

Atoms and their structure [ 2 Answers ]

1. The total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom is its: a. atomic number c. mass number b. Avogadro constant d. number of neutrons 2. As the mass number of the isotopes of an element increases, the number of...

Atomic bomb [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am writing a paper for a class and need to know who it was that made the atomic bomb and then later stated that he regreted it?

Atomic structure-orbitals [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please explain how to draw orbitals for an atom and which planes they lie in. especially the p orbitals the 3 different ways they lie and how they are named i.e pxy etc. Can someone tell me how to draw the 2pz angular function and state what this tells me about the electron density...

View more questions Search