Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HomeRepairBot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Troubleshooting Backed up Drain issue
    This seems obvious, but I have learned to never assume things.

I am having problems with drainage backup to my Septic tank. The toilet will flush once, then the second time it backs up and some water will backup into the tub. The tub also backs up after showering for 2-3 minutes. It will backup right away if you shower after flushing the toilet.

I uncovered the tank and opened the LINE IN inspection port. I had my wife flush the toilet and watched the INTAKE Pipe going into the Septic tank. There was a slow drip when I first opened the port and it really didn't speed up when she flushed the toilet. I then had her run the Kitchen sink which hasn't shown any backup issues. The slow drip never sped up with that running either.

Shouldn't I see water gushing out when the toilet is flushed and the sink is ran?

This lead me to believe there is a blocking issue somewhere after all the drains converge into a junction or possibly at that junction itself.

Is this an accurate evaluation?

Thanks...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeRepairBot
    Shouldn't I see water gushing out when the toilet is flushed and the sink is ran?
    This lead me to believe there is a blocking issue somewhere after all the drains converge into a junction or possibly at that junction itself.
    Yes,you should see a spurt of water entering the septic tank a minute or so after you flush a toilet. Since the manifold (junction box) is located at the outlet of the tank and your prblem's between te house and the tank, you DID open up the house cleanout to determine the problem's outside the house and not inside didn't you? this leads me to believe you have a partial blockage that's blocking a full flow but allowing some discharge to trickle through. Snake out the sewer line to the tank after you determine exactly where the clog is, sewer line or house system. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Old bathtub drain issue [ 3 Answers ]

My bathtub drain has gone from being sluggish to taking hours to drain completely. (Luckily, I live alone!) I've used Drano. I've snaked it, and the snake is catching on what I assume used to be a part of an old drain stopper mechanism inside. Currently, there's no drain stopper in the tub. The...

Washer drain backed up [ 5 Answers ]

When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?

New shower - backed up drain causing leak [ 1 Answers ]

Two months ago, we installed a new stone tile shower -the contractor installed a lead shower pan along with cement bed. Tiles were installed using thin set + Laticrete Superflexible Adhesive; tiles/grout were sealed with 511 impregnator. The shower drain recently backed up creating a 1-inch pool...

Shower Drain Issue [ 1 Answers ]

I need a real creative mind for this one. I bought a condo with an old custom build corner shower. I found a neoangle shower that we liked and demo'd the old. There were two concrete beds, one poured level with the subfloor and then one that was shaped with the proper drop, etc. I decided to...

View more questions Search