Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbetty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Raising mini-storage rents
    We have mini-storages. We want to raise our rents but don't know how much notice we need to give our renters. I know what it is for apartments and houses, etc. but wondered if the rules are the same for mini-storage rental space. Thanks.

Kathy:confused:
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Oct 2, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kbetty
    We have mini-storages. We want to raise our rents but don't know how much notice we need to give our renters. I know what it is for apartments and houses, etc. but wondered if the rules are the same for mini-storage rental space. Thanks.

Kathy:confused:
    I would assume everyone is on a month to month rental correct? In that case 30 days advance in writing should be sufficient, 60 days if you really want to be nice.

Oct 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Thanks. Our rents are month to month. I did read somewhere on line that if it is month to month, you don't even need to notify them in writing, but in our business we don't bill so there is no other way to let them know to pay the increased rent except to either call them or send them a notice.

Kathy
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Oct 3, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I know from a consumer stand point. The more notice the better. Be a good egg and take care of your tenants. Be sure to explain the reasons behind the rate increase to vaildate it. A little care goes a long way in business!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Unless there is a longer term agreement, then a 30 day notice is fine. I also agree with giving them more though, at least 45 days.

I would then prepare a reminder notice for all those that continue to pay the old rate after the effective date. I would NOT chanrge a late charge for the first time. But I would state in the reminder something like:

Thank you for your recent payment on Storage Unit xxx. As per our letter of (45 days previously) we raised the rental on your storage unit to $xxx. So you owe an additional $xxx. Please remit this amount ASAP, but no later then your next month. If the correct payment isn't received you may be subject to late charges.

Oct 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Thanks for all the tips. They are very helpful. We haven't raised our rents for at least two years so we are due. We are also the lowest in town so we need to be more competitive.
    Thanks, again.

Kathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raising in Arizona [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the song in Raising in Arizona when Felicity is telling Noel about Ben getting Lauren pregnant and Ben walks in on them. Thanks so much:)

Raising rent [ 3 Answers ]

In California, is there any limit as to how much a landlord can raise the rent and how much advance notice must the tenant be given?

1099-Misc Rents [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I report rents from my 1099-Misc on my 1040?

Increasing rents in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just obtained a property with a tenant who is paying way below the rent value for a 1 bedroom. She is a friend of the previous owner, who was doing the tenant a favor by letting her pay the low amount. I am the new owner and would like to raise the rent up to value for the 1 bedroom. I know...

Tax on rents [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: During the 1996 Olympic Games many residents of Atlanta left the city and rented out there homes. Despite the increase in the quantity of housing available, rents soared. If during the 1996 Olympic Games, the city of Atlanta had imposed a...

View more questions Search