Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LocoE Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Painting Exterior Fiberglass Door
    Hi,

I'm replacing a metal exterior door with a pre-primed fiberglass exterior door and I'm wondering what is the best painting method and the best paint to use. Also, if I paint with a brush, should the paint be thinned. Thanks.

LocoE
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Since the door is already primed you just need to wash it down, try TSP. Pick a high quality exterior enamel, latex is fine. I'd paint the details and trim first with a brush but use a short nap roller for the flat sufaces. You should not need to thin the paint but if you want a really smooth surface you can buy a paint additive, Flotrol, that will allow the paint to flash. I have spray equipment and use it for doors if I'm doing several and can remove them. If you want to look at this further write back.

Oct 2, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Hi Ballengerb1,

The door is on order and I won't have it for a few weeks. Your advice sounds good and I will follow it. The Flotrol sounds perfect for my application. Thanks

LocoE
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 2, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I agree with ballenger1, this is the same way we paint all ours. We also use laytex as well

Oct 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Thanks Ballengerb1 & glavin.

Will painting the door with a brush as you described while on the hinges give me a good job or do I need to lay it flat?

LocoE
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
    You should get good results with the door still hanging. I know your door is brand new but most door painting jobs are on existing door which can't come off for reasons of security, weather, etc... Since you have a few weeks before the door arrives you can go either way.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 10:00 PM
    I'm going against the grain here. I'd say if you want a really sharp looking door when your done spray with laquer. The finish is smooth and holds up very well. Your car is painted with laquer and it holds up very well to the weather.

Spray painting is an art and most people probably do it wrong. I've painted an exterior aluminum/steel screen exterior door twice and it holds up nearly forever. I'd say 15 years or more. Painting large objects is particularly difficult.

Oct 7, 2007, 03:40 AM
    I probably will paint the door while it is hanging. As far as the lacquer spraying, I will pass on that because as you say KeepItSimpleStupid, it does take a practiced hand to do a good job spray painting. This door will be protected by a quality storm door, so that should help protect the finish. Thanks again.

LocoE
    cranniegrannie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
    My new fiberglass door faces west and is exposed to strong sun most of the day. Any special type of paint that I should use to prevent peeling?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of professional exterior painting [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for ballpark figures on what it costs to have somebody re-paint the exterior of our home? I have no clue what the range would be. We are in San Diego. It is a two story, approx. 2,000 square foot home. Mostly stucco, but some wood siding too. It has needed to be re-painted for a...

Estimating painting exterior [ 2 Answers ]

Do you estimate exterior of house the same way as interior? By the square foot. Also is cost of the paint included in the estimate?

Painting a fiberglass Tub [ 4 Answers ]

What steps and products do I need to paint my avocado green tub to white?

Painting fiberglass showers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower that I want to paint. What is the best kind of paint to use for this project?

View more questions Search