Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wiharleygirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Ambien Cr and/or Rozerem with drinking cause a death?
    Total points: 154 (Level 1)
    Points earned this week:
    8% Best answer
    13 answers
    Purplesportygirl883
    Has anyone had a family member or friend on ambien cr or rozerem and also having been drinking and died?
    My father was taking one or the other sleeping pill and also drinking. Falling, not remember, and mood changes happened. Once he parked the car into the garage and forgot to shut it off till the next day. The doctor did nothing to stop this. I called several times, this past 2 months. One night he fell once again and not knowning where he was.
    He also said he hit his head after getting him back to bed. He died that night and the doctor says he was old and had health problems. I do not believe this. This is not why he died. Taking Ambien CR or Rozerem is pretty powerful sleeping pills. And having a doctor who knows his patient is also a heavy drinker should have his license pulled. Has anyone dealt with either of those two sleeping pills? I need help. Thank You
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
    First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, although I am a bit confused about your post.

It looks as though you copied a post from another member named Purplesportygirl883?

Was it Ambien or Rozerem? Or both?

Neither of these should be taken with alcohol. Ambien is a CNS depressant, so is alcohol. Rozerem is a sedative, so is alcohol. Ambien can also be quite addictive. Could your father have taken more than the recommended dosage?
    wiharleygirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, although I am a bit confused about your post.

It looks as though you copied a post from another member named Purplesportygirl883?

Was it Ambien or Rozerem? Or both?

Neither of these should be taken with alcohol. Ambien is a CNS depressant, so is alcohol. Rozerem is a sedative, so is alcohol. Ambien can also be quite addictive. Could your father have taken more than the recommended dosage?
    Yes I am purplesportygirl too on another site... Just been looking for answers, thought I would try here too. I faced the doctor and asked him why he would give either one of thoses sleeping pills to my father knowing he drank every day. His reply was I am sorry about his death and I did not know he drank a lot. The doctor is running abit scared cause the word civil suit has been brought to his attention. I told the doctor he needs to sit in a AA meeting. Thank You for answering
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Just playing devils advocate here, okay...

The doctor may not have known of the amount your father drank. If you father was an alcoholic in the true sense, then he did not answer the doctor's questions honestly about his drinking. He may be telling the truth when he said that he didn't know he drank a lot.

While your father's doctor probably asked about the drinking, he cannot be held responsible for what your father did after leaving the doctor's office.

It is unfortunate that this happened, and I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I can sympathize as I lost my father this summer.

Now, another question... What does the death certificate say? Was there an autopsy? This would have revealed toxic levels in your father's system.
    Rob8Rob8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wiharleygirl View Post
    Total points: 154 (Level 1)
    Points earned this week:
    8% Best answer
    13 answers
    purplesportygirl883
    Has anyone had a family member or friend on ambien cr or rozerem and also having been drinking and died?
    My father was taking one or the other sleeping pill and also drinking. falling, not remember, and mood changes happened. Once he parked the car into the garage and forgot to shut it off till the next day. The doctor did nothing to stop this. I called several times, this past 2 months. One night he fell once again and not knowning where he was.
    He also said he hit his head after getting him back to bed. He died that night and the doctor says he was old and had health problems. I do not believe this. This is not why he died. Taking Ambien CR or Rozerem is pretty powerful sleeping pills. And having a doctor who knows his patient is also a heavy drinker should have his license pulled. Has anyone dealt with either of those two sleeping pills? I need help. Thank You

I have used Ambein for about a year now... No days dreams or night working... yet
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 11:44 AM

I am also very sorry for your loss. You must be going through a very difficult time.

I don't know if there's anything you can do in this situation, but
    You might want to run by the legal boards to hear what they think.

I have suffered from insomnia on and off since my college years, and I was originally given a prescription for ambien. The first time, I took it every night for a week. I had mild hallucinations a couple of times before I fell into a deep sleep. It really corrected my severe insomnia at that time, and I was very glad to have had it.

About a year later, when my insomnia got bad again, I was given another prescription for it. One night I took it and then got ready for bed. In the morning, I woke up on the floor. I had fallen asleep next to my bed.

I should mention that there was zero alcohol involved in either one of those situations.

I have a friend who took ambien once, and he started chatting with his sister. She realized that his thoughts were jumbled up. She asked what color his shirt was, and he said stripes. She asked him how old he was, and he said green.

I have not gone back to ambien because I think it has side effects that are much too severe. I think it's dangerous. I have taken lunesta and lendormin since that time. Neither one has been anywhere close to ambien in their side effects.

I don't recommend ambien to anybody.

* I know that a couple of months have gone by since this thread was posted, but I can only imagine there might still be interested in related information.
    blehmeh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Do something crazy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this generic Ambien? [ 2 Answers ]

Small round unscored white pill with the numbers 93 on one side and 74 on the other side. And if this is zolpidem, what dosage? I have always taken reg 10 mg ambien and not used to these new pills. Want to make sure they are what I am supposed to be taking. Thank You.

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Drinking Pepsi [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Will drinking Pepsi Max make you put on weight?

My brothers drinking [ 2 Answers ]

I just started to see a counselor after a break up and I thought my issues were related to my family cutting me out of their lifes after my dad died. The counselor thinks that my brothers drinking and he beat me up twice is the issue. I did after that time go out with someone who after 2.5 years...

View more questions Search