Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amyunimus Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Maintaining Leading Zeros
    In column A, I have the numbers 1-48, with leading zeros for the numbers under 10:

In the second column, I have v3 or v2 randomly listed.

v2
    v2
    v3
    v2
    v3

etc

I want to make a new column that merges column A and B with an underscore:

01_v2
    02_v2
    03_v3

etc.

When I use " =A1&"_"&B1" I lose the leading zero, and end up with

1_v2
    2_v2
    3_v3

etc.

Is there anyway to maintain the leading zero across this formula? I tried changing the format of both the v2/v3 cells and the result cells to the same custom format I have for the numbers, but that doesn't work.

Thank you.
    Emily
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 07:50 AM
    What about setting the format to Text?
    Amyunimus Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 08:05 AM
    I think that might work-- do you know if this will interfere with future LOOKUP functions? That is, the lookup function tends to be very picky about ascending order, and I wasn't sure if there would be problems converting some of my numbers to text.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2007, 08:08 AM
    yes you need to set to Text. Numeric values don't have leading zeros. And no, it wouldn't affect the lookups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depression- leading to death? [ 10 Answers ]

Hii ever since the middle of September last year I've been depressed but I never really thought it was depression until a couple months ago. I knew that I was sad and my moods changed all the time but it never really hit me that I was depressedf until I found out that my grandfather suffers from...

Leading a team [ 1 Answers ]

You're on your way to motivating your team from a group perspective, but you're still having trouble connecting with your team as individuals. Your mentor reminds you of the concept of emotional intelligence and how it can enhance your leadership capabilities. Self-Awareness: The ability to...

Leading him on? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend, Brittany has been dating this guy, Brian for almost 8 months. They had been getting along really well. A few weeks ago, Brittany had told me she has been having mixed emotions for Brian. She thought it was a phase, but it had actually been going on for 2 months now. She often feels like...

Find the zeros [ 2 Answers ]

f(x)=x(squared)-5x-24

Is he leading me up the garden path? [ 13 Answers ]

Help!! I'm hoping you can give me some advice and feedback! Some months ago, I wrote about a guy who broke up with me (see link below) Well, he has reappeared in my life, and I'm a little confused. I'll try to keep this simple. Since the amicable breakup (I was upset, but got on with things), we...

View more questions Search