Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Da Posts: 195, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Kitch428 -txgreasemonkey---2003 Tacoma?
    Do either of you knowledgeable men know if my 2003 Tacoma 6 cyl 4x4 Trans has a replaceable filter?? Mt toyota service dept uses a flushing machine to replace fluid? He told me there isn't a Filter,which I find hard to believe.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Advance Auto Parts shows these filter replacements, however, it may be different for your 4x4:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Ensure the pan is dropped, cleaned, and filter replaced (if the 4x4 has one). Otherwise, the flushing machine can stir up crud and cause premature transmission failure.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
    The filter is basically a screen which I clean with some brake cleaner while cleaning up the pan and valve body deposits. Save your money on a filter for the cleaning solvents.

Oct 3, 2007, 03:33 AM
    Since dropping pan only removes the 2 quarts in pan, how do you remove the remainder of old fluid? My toyota service told me they flush fluid,I don't believe they drop pan,which I want. Will they if I insist??
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
    There's the old carolina trick to disconnect a cooler line at the radiator and have a drain pan ready and start the truck. It will come out at 10-15psi pressure so be ready for a mess. Then put back in what comes out. May take a half dozen tries at doing this. And you will be taking off a skid plate and working on the ground.

You sure you want to go through all this??

Oct 5, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Kitch428---- My tacoma is a 2003, 53,000 miles. I got it from a certified toyota dealer with 42,000 on it. My dealer said they flush fluid out,they do not drop pan when they replace fluid. I did not do anything yet ,but 53,000, and stop and go driving,this puts it as severe driving. Flushing I hear may dislodge crud in trans? How do you approach this when a customer goes to your place of business,and wants a trans fluid change?? If it were your tacoma 6 cyl 4x4 what do you do, Thanks John Da :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
    We've been using the BG flush machine now for about 18 months. It does a decent job. We run their chemicals with the job. First by adding "quick clean" to the dip stick tube, then run until warmed up. This gets all the deposits loose. Then the 15 qt flush taking about 15 minutes with the BG machine. Then adding the conditioner when completed.
    We've done this for cars with solenoids sticking hoping for a band-aid fix, then later dropping the pan to replace solenoids. Since that always doesn't work.
    But I'm here to tell you, these are very neglected vehicles, and came in with dark dirty fluid. The pan it squeaky clean when removed to replace the solenoids. Very impressive for me anyway.
    As your truck goes, it takes a lot more punishment than that to hurt a Toyota truck. We have yet to have a comeback on the flushes. Every 30K, you can't do no wrong!

Oct 6, 2007, 03:30 AM
    Thanks Kitch423-- I appreciate everything :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 toyota tacoma 6 cyl [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased it from certified toyota dealer. Where is fuel filter?? I also am considering to replace battery with a Optima battery. Thanks John :confused:

2001 Toyota Tacoma [ 7 Answers ]

How do you get the rear drums off? I have beat, pulled and cannot get them to budge.

Correct Optima battery for 2003 tacoma 6 cyl? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the correct Optima battery I need for 2003 6 cyl tacoma?? Thank you, John :)

2001 Toyota Tacoma [ 1 Answers ]

On occasion, about once a day, when I go to start the truck, nothing will happen. Shut the key off and try again and it will start fine. The battery is only 4 months old and is always strong. Does this sound like a ground or corroded terminal on starter? Any other suggestions

View more questions Search