Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chunkyfaces Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Copying and pasting music files...
    I ripped all of my music to my hard drive some time ago and windows media player put all of the music into folders by group\album'song name'.wma

Now I'm trying to put all of my songs into folders according to my idea of genre. So I cut all of the tracks from all of the folders and oasted them into one big folder... a big list of songs

The problem I'm having now is that if I cut one of these tunes and paste it into, say, the folder called 'oldies' there isn't a problem. But if I also like the tune lots and want it in my 'favourites' also, and proceed to copy and paste it, windows sees fit to remove both copies of the song and put the song, along with the entire album it came from back into the folder it was in just after being ripped.

This is really annoying, I've tried to make windows treat the music like normal files but with no luck, it still happens.

The only thing I can think of is that windows is accessing the internet and there's some sort of synchronisation thing going on whereby it assumes I want the music to be assorted by album. I'm a firm believer that computers are at their most evil when they think they're trying to help!

If anyone can help me...

Stu
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 13, 2005, 03:45 AM
    Doesn't sound right to me.

If you move files and want them copied top multiple directories on the same drive, hold the shift key down while moving. A small + sign will appear next to the cursor to tell you that the file is being copied to destination rather than moved.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2005, 04:53 AM
    Music
    Hi,
    Try "copy and paste" instead of "cut and paste".
    If you are not copying the actual URL along with the music file, there shouldn't be a problem. I copy and paste .wma music all the time.
    Whenever you rip a song, you can also re-set the default folder where you want it to go.
    I don't use the WMP folders; don't like them.
    I keep all my music in c:/My Music, with folder names as you have suggested.
    I Right click on the file I want the copy, then Left click on Copy. Then, go to where you want to paste the file. Right click in the folder, then Left click on Paste. Then, go back to the original, Right click the file, then Left click on Delete.
    I've never tried putting these in Favorites, so don't know if that will work or not! Favorites are used for URL's or addresses of websites... interesting question.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Oct 13, 2005, 06:16 AM
    Still having problems with this, and there's still no obvious reason I can see. Only it seems the rules might have changed...

Rather than cutting and pasting I now copy and paste then go back to delete the original. And the difference now is that the album jumps back into the folder I originally moved it from but without the actual track I copied! Why does windows have to try to help so much?? it should be as simple as dragging and dropping but...

Oct 13, 2005, 06:19 AM
    I've had an idea

I'm going to copy all of the files and paste them somewhere else, then delete all of the original ones. If this makes my computer explode I won't be surprised... probably can't squeeze 8000 files onto the clipboard!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2005, 10:38 AM
    I think the problem here may be the way you've setup playlists.

But what I'd suggest you do is if you want a song to appear in different genre folders then place the actual file in one folder and shortcuts to that file in the other folder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with my music files [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday I was on my computer and I upgraded my RealPlayer. I don't know if this is what caused it, but all of my music files(even though they were and still play in Windows media player by default) had the suffix .mp3 added to their filename. Now, when I change the name of a file, it changes...

Sending music files over the net using websites.. [ 0 Answers ]

Hey everyone I just registered because I could really use some help. When I want to send a file over the net, a music file I use this site www.yousendit.com but I don’t think its working all that well anymore because I asked a friend of mine to send me a file using this site and the file was sent...

Copying Music DVD's? [ 5 Answers ]

Help! I have a new computer and can burn music CD's, but can I copy music DVD's? And what software do I need to copy them? Karen, Finland

How do you save music files to your PC? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently got a new phone that I can download songs onto. The program I can use to do so is Nokia PC Suite (I think), and in order to get songs is to get them from your music file list. I use LimeWire to listen to most of my music... but for some reason whenever I try to download the songs...

Sharing Music Files [ 14 Answers ]

I am new to the world of sharing music files. I recently subscribed to a music file sharing service for around US$25 for two years. The quality of files downloaded so far is excellent. The question is, is sharing of music files still legal? The recording companies and musical artists would...

View more questions Search