Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Oct 1, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Firefox Crashes!
    Please help me, this has been going on for about 3 days now... Every time I try to start Mozilla I get an error message as follows:

"Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

And another message that is called "Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent- Firefox2"

Anyway, I don't think that the Feedback Agent matters, I think that it is only for the company so they will know what is happening/ how to fix it for later updates...

But in the meantime, can someone help me with this?

I have ran Mcafee, that did not work.

I have Re-installed Firefox, and it actually worked until I closed the program, and then when I tried to open it again, I got those messages again...

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? If so, do you know what it is and how to fix it?

Thanks In advance,

--Brandon
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2007, 09:26 PM
    There are many reasons this could have happened. First of all. Have you downloaded anything lately? I would suggest downloading Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5, AVG Anti Virus, McAfee Site Advisor (Firefox), or McAfee Site Advisor (Internet Explorer).
    -

Oct 1, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I have ran Mcafee, and the site adviser is working properly.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Will it start in "Safe mode". Use the start menu ad navigate to Mozilla Firefox and select safe mode.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Have you recently installed a plug in, skin, etc? Is it updated? You may want to try and run Firefox in Safe Mode and see if it works. You may also like to see the Firefox Support Site, or the Firefox crash page.
    -

Oct 1, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Hey I did install a skin, what should I do?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Oct 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    In addition to spyware it could be something leftover in the registry or a bad file that's hanging around...

Grab yourself a copy of CCleaner.
    Uninstall Firefox.
    Reboot.
    Make sure the directory you installed FireFox to is gone.
    (This is typically C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox)
    Run CCleaner, clean the files and run the registry cleaner.
    (Make sure you allow the program to backup the registry before you fix any issues)
    Re-install FireFox.
    Don't re-install any of the plug-ins/skins until you've used it for a bit to make sure it's working, quit and re-start a few times.
    When you are ready to re-install the plug-ins/skins install one at a time, quit and re-start.
    -

Oct 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Hey, thank you!

I am doing it right now, but I really am iffy about the "registry" because I have no clue what I am doing, so, I will tell you all of the problems that had to do with Firefox,

There were 3 problems that said "Missing MUI Referance"

5 problems saying "Invalid Default Icon"

And 4 problems saying "Open With Application Issue"

Would you possibly know what any of that means, and what I should do to fix it?

Thanks!
    GypsyRoots Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I have used Firefox for 3 years and never a problem.

I hope someone can give you the correct answer. I never download anything online.

Best to you.

Oct 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Anytime you edit your registry there are risks. That being said, I use CCleaner on a regular basis and I've never had any problems with it. But as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Look at the data for the MUI Reference, if the program is one that is still installed on the computer then don't delete that entry.
    Invalid Default Icon messages are safe to remove.
    Open w/App issues usually happen after you remove software and there's some leftover information in the registry. Those are safe to remove as well.

After it scans the registry you will be able to click the Fix Selected Issues button. When you do that it will ask you if you want to make a backup of the changes. Always answer Yes to this and save it in a new file. As long as you do this you can restore anything that the cleaner removes.
    -

Oct 2, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Jstrike, you ARE definitely the man, and are on my top 10 favorite people list now, thank you man!

You're the !
    -

Oct 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Never mind man, it worked for like 5 minutes...

Um, you're still awesome for trying to help me..

But I got the message again :(

Oct 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Assuming you didn't install anything like plug-ins or skins then you have a spyware/malware issue. It really sounds like something is trying to hijack your browser.

Try Spybot and HijackThis. Be careful with HijackThis, you can very easily remove something you're not supposed to.

If Spybot, HijackThis and the usual trove of removal tools don't work then I suggest the Ultimate Boot CD. For spyware/malware/virus/rootkit removal, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. You will need your original Windows CD if you plan on using this. Also please take the time to read through the directions as this is not a plug and play solution.
    -

Oct 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Okay, I have spybot downloading now, I will see how this works, thank you for the help man!
    -

Oct 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Well, I realized the problem now, I accidentally skipped a step that you told me to do when doing the ccleaner, I did it all over again, and now it works great! Thanks Jstrike, you're awesome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explorer.exe Crashes [ 2 Answers ]

Symptoms: After startingup WindowsXP the computer isn't reacting when I click on anything on the desktop or the taskbar. Hourglass over Taskbar. When I end the explorer.exe process(0% CPU) - it sometimes restarts automatically and sometimes I have to restart it in the task manager(new...

Internet explorer crashes [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me with this problem I have been looking for a solution for awhile now.OK when I boot up my :) computer everything loads fine but when I go to click on anything (start,my computer etc... ) iexplorer crashes I think it is a virus of some kind but I really don't know I would...

PC System Crashes on bootup [ 8 Answers ]

I just put togther a midtower PC (AMD 750, ASUS Motherboard, 160GB Western Digital HDD, OS Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 installed) and it will only bootup and run in regular mode with just one stick of 128 SDRAM-CENTON PC133 installed in either the #1 or 2, or 3 slot. If I add one of two more sticks of...

Crashes [ 3 Answers ]

Running XP Home. Running just fine until I shut down. When I boot up it will crash 2 or 3 times then come up just fine. Sometimes it runs Checkdisc, sometimes not. Then it runs just fine through re-starts and use, until I shut down--the scenario repeats. What is wrong and how can I fix it?...

View more questions Search