Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pale White Skin Posts: 93, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 01:51 AM
    Recording Software ( Sound, Music, Wave, etc.. )
    Anyone know a good program to record sounds because I love to sing and I was curious if anyone knew a program that I can download online for a free month trial or something. If anyone knows of anything please let me know! Thanks so much :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2005, 04:28 AM
    Audacity is good and completely free: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 12, 2005, 04:30 AM
    In windows 2000, you get "Sound Recorder" with the operating system. It lives in Start -> Programs -> Accessories ->Entertainment. I'm pretty sure it's in 98 & XP etc also.

If not there you might have to install it from add/remove programs in Control panel (Add/remove windows components)

Do you have a microphone to plug into your sound card?

Anyway, this program will record to .wav format, and takes up quite a lot of space, but you can always convert to .mp3 later!

See how you get on with this. I'm sure there are other programs on the web but don't know of any personally.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Recorders
    Hi,
    For an example:
    For Win98SE; one can go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment, then click on Sound Recorder. Only bad thing is that this Window's recorder will only record 60 seconds!
    Another recorder can be found using your Sound Card software. One in particular is Creative Sound Blaster.
    Go to Start/Programs/Creative/ then click on Creative Recorder.
    Your own Sound Card might be a different manufacturer, but should have a recorder with it.
    Hook up your microphone, and you can set your recorder to record at different settings, some giving large size recordings, other less.
    You can also use your windows recorder (even though it only records 60 seconds), to then change the size of your recording.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2005, 05:54 AM
    As Fred indicated Sound Recorder is almost useless for your purpose since its limited to 60 seconds.

You might find this article; http://www.epinions.com/content_1901895812 useful for your needs. If you have a MAC they have software called Garage Band that is designed for this. Here's another article I found; http://www.operationgadget.com/2004/...lternativ.html that has info for you.

One other suggestion would be to look for a karaoke machine. Some of them allow you to record your performances.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 12, 2005, 06:43 AM
    I didn't know about the 60 second limitation, as I've never really used it much. I agree that its fairly useless then for this application. :)

Oct 12, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Yeah my computer has Sound Recorder. But it is useless because you could only record for 60 seconds and I was looking for something that could record up to 10 minutes and up. I had a free month trial with this recording software called Tobest Stealth Recorder. 'Twas good because it recorded and saved so many songs. But I'm just looking for other programs that would also work. Thanks you guys! :)
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Oct 12, 2005, 06:41 PM
    Hello,

The friendly people above have already given you many good answers, but I wanted to suggest my favorite recording program.

Wavepad: www.nch.com.au/wavepad/

Free download and easy to use (in my opinion).

Good luck!

Oct 12, 2005, 06:51 PM
    Do I download the freeware or the master edition version?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 12, 2005, 07:13 PM
    http://www.mywebsearch.com/jsp/AJmai...oundrecorderXP check this page out and do a little surfing, maybe you can find one for free. I got mine for free somewhere, but I forgot from where it came from. I think the company sent one to me to test and then gave me the registrations code also.

I use all sound recorder XP for my music and had no problem recording from an audio tape to my PC to convert into an MP3 and WAV format for a slideshow I made.
    Just from the helpfile alone on this little app - see what it can do:
    With All Sound Recorder XP you can
    • With Sound Recorder feature, you can record real-time sound from any source like microphone, line-in device(such as casette tape, radio ) and any other sound playing program(like winamp, realplayer,realone player - rm file, windows media player, Quicktime and other applications),WebPages, Internet convesation with unlimited time recording and save it to mp3,wav,wma formats on the fly;
    • Sound Editor feature makes this program more powerful and more easy to use. It can edit audio files as you desire by cutting, copying, pasting, trimming segments and employing various DSP effects ;
    Feature of All Sound Recorder XP
    • Powerful recorder functions:
      All Sound Recorder XP (wav recorder) can record any signal played through your sound card as Mp3, Wma, Vqf, Ogg or Wav files.MPEG Audio (various layers) to include MP2 and MP3
    • CD quality recording:
      With its powerful sound engine All Sound Recorder XPduces recordings with CD quality.
    • Audio File Editing:
      All Sound Recorder XP can edit audio files as you desire by cutting, copying, pasting, trimming segments and employing various DSP effects.
    • Sound Data Active Recording Mode:
      Integrate the intelligent silent detector to skip silent passagest.
    • Easy-to-use user-friendly interface:
      Most functions can be called up with a simple mouse click or menu selection. You can conveniently make skins for All Sound Recorder XP through our color scheme system.
    • Flexible setting:
      All Sound Recorder XP is able to automatically detect the recording formats your sound card supports and then set the application's parameters for the best possible performance. The default parameters work in most cases, but you can change them easily to best suit your needs.
    • Change Sound Source support:
      All Sound Recorder XP integrates the complete set of Change Sound Source for your convenience.
    • Direct-To-Disk long time sound recording support:
      All Sound Recorder XP can consecutively record for as long as your like without interrupt.
    All Sound Recorder XP supports the following file formats so that you can save as audio files
    • Waveform audio (PCM wave)
    • MPEG Audio (various layers) to include MP2 and MP3
    • Windows Media Audio (WMA)
    • OGG Vorbis Audio
    Build-in Powerful Audio Editor Tool

With All Sound Editor you can
    • Open, create and save audio files;(mp3,wav format)
    • Display a waveform window of an audio file and apply zooming;
    • Play an audio file or any part of it;
    • Visually edit an audio file (Cut, Copy, Delete Silence, Paste, Paste From File, Mix, Mix From File);
    • Apply different effects (Amplify, Delay, Fade, Flanger, Invert, Normalize, Silence, Stretch, Vibrato);
    • Apply different filters to the selected part of an audio file (Ban Pass Filter, High Pass Filter, High Shelf Filter, Low Pass Filter, Low Shelf Filter, Notch Filter).
    Didn't post all of it here, but you get the gist.

There is also an app called Wavelab, and of course, there is my all-time favorite Nero, which also has a sound recorder called SoundTrax in the Nero 6 version. There are a lot of apps out there, you just have to test them and find the one suited to your needs.

Hope this helped a little.

Oct 12, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Hello Pale White Skin,

In response to your question (which version, freeware or Master's),

You should download the freeware version - you can do plenty with the freeware version. If you get really into it and want some really nice features, that's when you want to pay for the Master's Edition. But you won't need that unless you start getting really involved.

So, for what you need, I would suggest the free version.

Good luck!

Oct 12, 2005, 07:47 PM
    Thanks you guys! I appreciate it! :)

Oct 28, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Ok so I have the Audacity music software and every time I export the file as a Wav.. it saves as a big file. So for example, one of my songs is 21,063 KB and that's a huge file if I'm wanting to send it to my friend through MSN messenger. How can I prevent it from saving as a huge file? They're only 3-5 minute songs and I was wondering why it saves as a big file? Is there anything I can do?

Oct 28, 2005, 01:38 PM
    .wav files are generally quite large. That is the format it will probably save in by default.

For smaller file sizes, you want to save the songs as .MP3 files instead.

How to save as MP3 -

When finished recording, etc... click "File"
    Instead of exporting as WAV, export as MP3.

I am working directly with Audacity, so it should be the same if we have the same versions.

Oct 28, 2005, 02:09 PM
    :(
    I tried doing that and I get a pop up asking this:

"Aucadity does not export MP3 files directly, but instead uses the freely available LAME library to handle MP3 file encoding. You must obtain lame_enc.dll separately, by downloading the LAME MP3 encoder, and then locate this file for Audacity. You only need to do this once.

Would you like to locate lame_enc.dll now?"

What does that mean? :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2005, 03:51 PM
    Exactly what it says. It means you need another file to to convert to MP3 and its offering to find a copy for you.

Oct 28, 2005, 04:40 PM
    How do I do that? It's not working. Under what file? I'm confused. Do I have to re-record and save under mp3 or what?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 28, 2005, 08:06 PM
    http://www.yousendit.com/

You an either convert it with an WAVtoMP3 program or use the above link and send the file as it is. I tried it and it's pretty good.

Good Luckl.

theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 08:07 PM
    If you have high speed internet you could check out the newsgroups servers to see what hacked progs they have, useually you can get anything you want on there.
    For help accessing newsgroups go to Shemes.com and download Grabit. Check out the tutorials too

Oct 29, 2005, 12:32 AM
    I'd like to try a different program. I like the feedback and I'd like to thank you guys for the help. If any of you know any other program besides the ones listed already.. I'd love to get some links on a free month trial or what not. So if you know of any other recording programs that allow you to record more than a one minute track.. do let me know or post some links! Would be great :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for this pop & new wave songs. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Spain.I have many old tapes from the eighties but also many unknown songs.Please,help me.All the songs are between 1984 / 1989.Thanks in advance and regards from Spain. http://www.spiritofradio.ca/SongComments.asp?SongID=1554 http://www.spiritofradio.ca/SongComments.asp?SongID=1553...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

Wave superposition [ 2 Answers ]

We are given 2 wave equations as follows: y1 = 25 sin(wt - pi/4) y2 = 15 sin(wt - pi/6) wt=omega * time Find the resultant amplitude, phase, and equation for the wave based on the superposition principle. The 2 equations above have the same frequency. Any help would be great. Thanks

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

Lps To Cds With Nero Wave Editor Or Other Program [ 2 Answers ]

Hi; I would like to pass my lps and tapes to cds, I read that I can use Nero wave editor V 1.0 for this, but I don't know how to do it. Or is there a easier way to do it with other program? By the way I have nero, clonecd, alcohol 120% too, if any of these are good for? Thank you

View more questions Search