Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JakeRook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 07:04 PM
    Shower on slab
    I want to install a walk in shower on a slab foundation. How do I connect the drain to the toilet?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2005, 03:36 AM
    Asking about the connection makes me assume you already know
    1. the exact point where the shower drain will be,
    2. that you've got to cut or bust out the floor between that point and the toilet, is that right?

Getting to where you'll tie in is the hardest part.

You can't know exactly what pieces you'll need until it's all exposed.

If you've got it all exposed, can you describe the toilet drain line? How far it drops before bending, whether it then goes toward or away from the toilet, how far, etc..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeRook
    I want to install a walk in shower on a slab foundation. How do i connect the drain to the toilet?
    Hi Jake,
    You can't connect your shower to the toilet unless you're prepared to run another roof vent off the shower. You can not discharge a major fixture such as a toilet past a unvented minor one such as your shower. Too much danger of allowing sewer gas to escape. A much better idea would be to connect the shower to a drain that's vented, ( with the exception of the washer drain), A lavatory drain would work and your shower will be wet vented. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower on a slab- [ 7 Answers ]

Hi folks, I would like to add a shower where the clothes washer is , in the attached pictures. There is a washer drain behind the washer on the outside wall, appears to be 1.5" pipe. I have read about the Saniflo pumps that can pump up to a drain and use a 1" outflow . The washing...

How to install a shower/tub on a slab? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 bath in my basement (toilet and sink). House built in 1964. I would like to add a fiberglass shower/tub combo, however, there is no drain for a shower or tub. How difficult is it to cut the slab to allow installation of the drain line? -The shower/tub drain would be 6 ft. from the...

Help with bath/ shower on slab [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering installing a Sterling brand two piece tub w/ shower enclosure in our full bath. Here's why when we purchased our home last Nov.of 2005 we did not notice the last owner had altered the bathing area. What he did was remove the tub spout and had a make shift cheap...

Shower drain in slab [ 2 Answers ]

Can I build up the shower base and use elbows to route the shower drain to the right location, or do I have to rip the floor out, or custom build my own shower base... I believe it was placed for a tube, and I can't find any shower bases that the drain lines up with... any suggestions?

Shower stall on a slab [ 7 Answers ]

View more questions Search